Chapter 9: The sign

"We live in a mysterious world
a world full of things yet to be known
some of them were meant to never be discovered and others just can't avoid being seen"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

V.N.

So many things happened. Most of them related or because of me. What am I doing to solve it all? Nothing but sitting still.

All of this fell on me while I was off guard. Was Cleo attacked? Is Dan dead? Why would the possible kidnapper show that just to me? Is him Jake?

"This video call just now, showing Cleo in the forest..." -Jake started.

He saw it.

—You saw it

—Yes, I did.

—I need to talk to her.

She wasn't online, but it was worth a try.

"Cleo, text me ASAP" -I sent her, but there was no answer.

—She isn't answering
—Can you please... do something too?
—I don't know. You're the hacker.
—Jake?

—Vanysh I need to ask you a very important favor.

No fuck.

—I know that what I'm about to ask you is highly unusual and your decision is going to have high consequences for you.
—But you can't tell anyone about this video.

—Ha
—I don't even know what to tell you. Seriouly
—Do you understand what this is all turning into? Cleo is in serious danger, and so are they.

—You might not see it now, Vanysh, but I do understand.
—I'm sure that the kidnapper's sole intention with this video is to scare you.
—However, the others might misinterpret his behavior.
—I'm afraid they will abort the search for Hanna in the forest out of fear for themselves.

—Yea, because they'd ACTUALLY be in danger.

—I can understand that this call upset you.
—It's all about finding Hanna!
—And for that we need the others.

—I don't even know what to tell you.
—You say as if they are only pieces in your game.

—Please Vanysh.
—Trust me.

Now I realize Hanna is really important to him. Important to the point of risking the live of others just to find her as if they were nothing. It's also the moment I start to think if I'm just another piece in this shit.

In the moment, protecting them, getting to know more about Jake and the kidnapper is what I need to do. Some of those things can't happen at the same time, but I need to try.

Jake certainly doesn't deserve my trust to the point where I risk my friendship and the life of the group, but he can be instrumental in unraveling all of this. Besides, getting to know him is now a personal matter.