Chapter 27 - Of Stockings and Shootings [part 2]

Percy quickly grabbed Rachel and managed to sneak off into an alcove before anybody noticed The Rachel Dare hugging the help.

"Hey Rach. Don't talk to me in front of the guests, it makes both of us look bad. I work here, you see... Anyways, I went to visit camp, but you weren't there at the time? How's stuff going?"

"PERCY!" Rachel whisper shouted at her, looking slightly miffed, "You didn't come visit me! I wasn't at camp yeah, I came by the next day... I'm doing good, graduated, got into a good university that lets me take most of the lectures online, I just need to go in for the actual art class. Which is good for me, because I'm the oracle. What about you?"

"Yeah... I changed my name to Priscilla, by the way, so only call me that." Percy said, avoid Rachel's suddenly narrowed gaze, "anyways, I took a year break in between, and just got back to high school. Im graduating this year, hopefully. I work at the Waynes's for some extra cash. I live with my friend Shiva. She knows my aunt pretty well too."

"Wait-what about your mom?"

"Oh... Rachel, Sally and Paul... they were kidnapped a long time ago. Missing presumed dead." She sighed, "It's been really hard, and my auntie Lia has been there for me."

"Auntie Lia?"

"Her name's Talia."

"Like Thalia!"

"Kind of."

"Right.. um, here's my number, call me. I have to go socialize, you probably need to do work, or you won't get paid... But remember to call me, yeah? We have a lot to catch up on."

-

The gala was hectic for Percy, from carrying champagne glasses, to carrying smooth china plates with the most elaborate dishes on them, weaving in and around guests to different tables, nearly tripping over Damian's foot thrice in the process.

He was trying to trip her, she was sure. And she was annoyed.

Percy had one last dish to hand out before she could take a ten minute break, and go to the restroom to breathe, but of course, the fates are never on her side.

The lights suddenly go out.

'Oh gods, not another gala invasion. Seriously? Right before my break?!' Percy thought, throwing her hands up in frustration, accidentally yeeting the plate across the room. She was grateful for the darkness, because nobody knew it was her. Of course, there was mass panic because of that one plate breaking, but Percy didn't particularly care about that.

"HahahahaHAhahahaHAHahahaha!" came a very loud, obnoxious laugh.

'The joker' Percy thought grimly, before silently making her way towards the restroom. after all the times she'd walked back and forth in the hall, she had memorized the entire layout of the ballroom.

She quietly changed into her uniform [which was obviously on her at all times], as well as placing her mask on. She didn't have her katana, so her knives would have to do.

And then she heard gunshots.

Percy quickly ran back into the room, now to find it brightly lit again, three guests kneeling on the buffet table, each with a gun to their head, as well as all the people in the room with their wallets out and hands in the air.

Batman hadn't showed up yet, because Bruce hadn't gotten away from the scene. The Joker had his eye focused on him, staring him down with a manic grin on his face.

"Joker." She said, her voice clearly ringing out.

"Who are you?"

"I'm nunya business. You are a criminal. Therefore, by my rules, you are ready to face eradication. Be prepared to die." Percy said confidently, before shooting into place right in front of the joker. She got ready to fight close combat, since she knew he was weak at it, only to be surprised by a smoke grenade, and the joker on the other side of the room, with two other men in clown masks.