✧ Wen Ning- Protector ✧

IT WAS NOT WELL known that the young master of the Wen clan, Wen Qionglin, birth name Wen Ning, had a fiancé. The Wen clan had hidden this fact, and the clan took it with them to their collective grave.

You, Wen Ning's girlfriend, were a disciple of the Lan clan and, as such,  highly respected. The juniors looked to you for guidance on many occasions, and even the most staid elder could have his opinion changed by you.

Not only were you charismatic and the guide to many, you were also a very skilled archer. When you fired ten shots, you hit ten shots. You never missed. It was for that reason that you were called a prodigy.

One day, you were told to go to town and buy supplies and food. Master Quiren was low on food and reading material, and he had the power to order disciples to do whatever he wanted. You happened to be the one who were ordered to go this time. Since you never went to town, this was an interesting experience for you.

As you wandered the streets, you caught the eyes of many women and men alike due to your dazzlingly good looks. You gave all who looked at you friendly smiles and waved to them, ignoring the rising uneasiness in your stomach. It felt like someone was following you. You heard the same set of repeating footsteps, over and over.

You looked behind you and saw a middle aged man drinking a bottle of beer while watching you with wide eyes and licking his lips. When he noticed that you had seen him, he dropped the bottle and lunged at you, holding a broken piece of the bottle like a knife.

Trying to turn and run was useless. The man grabbed you by the skirt of your elegant white hanfu and threw you to the ground. You kicked and screamed as loudly as you could, but nobody was there to save you. All you could do was lie on the ground powerless as the man above you ruthlessly executed his will upon you.

Suddenly, a flash of black soared through the air like a raven and landed down right next to the man. You were shocked to see Wen Ning, with his veins popping out of his neck and glowing a dark black and his eyes without a pupil, grab the man by his neck and snap it it one smooth motion, throwing the body away in the street.

You were also shocked to see him look to you with those violent eyes, raising his fist, ready to tear you apart. You skittered away through the dusty road on hands and knees, then got up and ran as long as you could before collapsing into an alleyway and bursting into sobs from the stress and pain- both emotional and physical pain- of the situation.

You could hear Wen Ning coming towards you, his chains jingling as he ran. You curled up in a ball and prayed fervently that your death would be as painless as possible.

"A-Y-Y/N."

You heard Wen Ning shyly stammering your name. Could it be that the anger had worn off already? Usually it took much longer.

"Go away!" you yelled, ready to fight again, even if it was hopeless to fight a puppet.

"I-I-I'm so sorry."

You could hear his voice breaking. He definitely wasn't possessed anymore. You looked up, blinded by tears, and saw his gentle smile beaming down at you. You sighed deeply in relief and got back up on your feet to embrace him tightly.

"Poor Ning. Your body is shaking. Are you scared?"

Wen Ning shook his head and said, "No, I'm not scared! Don't worry!"

The unease in his voice proved that he was lying to you. He was scared. But why would he be scared? Nothing had happened to you. He didn't need to be frightened. You were right here.

"Why are you scared? Is it because of that man? He's dead now. You killed him."

"I killed him! That's why I'm scared! I... I can kill, and I- I'm scared I might hurt you. I-I'm scared! I-it's s-scary," Wen Ning sobbed, tears now running down his cheeks.

"Oh, my love! You won't hurt me! You never will!"

You gave him a kiss on his cheeks. Then on his lips. Then on his shaking hands.

"I trust you. Please, believe me. You won't ever hurt me."

"Y/N..."

He reached his hands up to touch your face, and you felt that they had stopped trembling. He gave you a smile once again, and he was happy again. Happiness rose up in your own breast now, filled with joy that the man you loved was happy.

"Let's go home," you said.

"B-but you don't have Master Lan's supplies!" Wen Ning reminded you.

You looked down at your empty hands and laughed.

"Oh, I guess I don't," you said. "Do you want to shop for them with me?"

When you saw him hesitate, you reminded him, "You won't hurt me."

"Let's go!" he exclaimed, no longer hesitating.

The two of you walked together through the market, holding hands and reveling in each other's company.

And if a certain old man never got the new book that he wanted... well, let's just say you weren't completely innocent in that either.