✧ Xie Lian- Lost Love ✧

A/N- Events in this story aren't canon. I thought I'd write another Xie Lian one shot, but it's been a long time since I've watched the show, so please pardon me if I make any errors.

EVER SINCE XIE Lian's husband Hua Cheng got killed, the prince of Xianle had been deeply depressed. He stayed in his room all day, lying in bed and sobbing into his pillow. When he came out to eat food, he would cover his face with his tangled hair and not show himself to anyone, hiding behind a screen.

As his friend, you were seriously worried for Xie Lian. You came to his home everyday and asked to visit him, but he wouldn't let you ever see him. So you chose to make a drastic decision that you knew would let you see him.

You stood on the edge of heaven, looking down to the endless expanse of sky below. It would be a long fall, but you could catch yourself. You had a weapon just like Xie Lian's Ruoye, a bandage that could wrap around things. You had named it Buzhuo, which meant catch, and you were certain Buzhuo would catch you before you fell. Trusting in Buzhuo, you took a step forward into the abyss and let yourself fall.

As your body flew through the air, you felt yourself feel lighter and lighter, as if you could fly. You spun around, cheering in happiness, and not focusing on the rapidly approaching ground. By the time you saw it approaching, it was too late for you to catch yourself, and all you could do was scream as you slammed against solid rock.
————————————————————————
When you opened your eyes, you were shocked to see that you were lying in Xie Lian's room. The only thing separating you from him was a small amount of space- you could see his chest rising and falling shakily, and his hands slowly moving to his face to brush away rapidly falling tears. His bones were visible under his skin, and dark circles and bags united under his eyes to mark his lack of sleep. His lips trembled too, and he gasped out your name, making your heart break by how broken he was.

"Y-Y/N."

"I'm here, Xie xie," you said, lying your hand on his shoulder.

"D-d-don' leave m'..." his voice, slurred and thickened by tears and lack of sleep.

"I'm here. I'm not leaving," you said.

"You're here?" he said, sounding unsure. "R-re-really here?"

When he turned and saw you, he burst into sobs. You wrapped your arms around his dangerously slender body and held him as he shook with sobs. He touched your face with his shaky hands and whimpered like an injured dog, making you truly concerned for him.

"It's okay, Xie xie. I'm here. You must have been afraid when you saw me unconscious, right? I was probably covered in blood and all that, I didn't look too good. But I'm okay now."

"I-I-it's not okay. Y-you were unconscious, b-but you were d-d-dying, and you were... you were..." he gasped.

"I was dying? Did I actually die?" you asked him.

The way he sobbed and trembled showed you the answer. They must have restarted your heart somehow, otherwise you wouldn't be here right now. But why was Xie Lian so worked up over it?

Oh... with a shock it came to you. He had already lost Hua Cheng, his lover. He had lost you too, his best friend. If your heart hadn't been restarted successfully, he would have lost his greatest friend as well. He would be lonely and depressed for the rest of his life after that. He was probably still scared.

"Listen, I'm not going to die, Xie xie. Please don't be worried," you said.

"S-sa-San L-Lang," he gasped. "I-I miss h-him..."

"I know I could never replace San Lang. But I'll try my best to be a good friend to you. Please, don't cry," you murmured gently to him.

In response, he buried his head in your chest and sobbed harder. You held him in your arms until he stopped crying, and then said, "How can I prove to you that I won't leave you?"

"Hold me," he said. "Just like San Lang."

So, by his request, you held him all night, and kissed him gently. You could say with confidence that you were both more than friends now.