✧ Jin Ling/Jiang Cheng- Pressure ✧

A/N- I decided to end the Wen Ning storyline because I couldn't think of any other way to continue it. The planned next POV was Jiang Cheng though, so let's move on to a JC oneshot (I added Jin Ling because there's a lot of focus on him too). Also, whoever drew that fanart is TALENTED! It's so pretty!

AS JIANG CHENG'S significant other, you knew that he wanted every disciple of the Jiang clan to be perfect. But sometimes the pressure to be perfect would take a toll on his health and the health of the people he was constantly criticizing. One example of this was Jin Ling. That willful boy thought he could act any way he acted and screw around during practices and learn nothing? That wasn't allowed in Yunmeng Jiang sect!

One day, Jiang Cheng just had enough, and said something he shouldn't have said.

"No wonder your parents died. They would phate having such a failure as a son. How could you possibly dishonor the Jin family name like this? You're not even worthy to wield your father's sword, you little failure! Go to your room and rethink your life!"

You snapped at Jiang Cheng right after he said that, but words that had been spoken could not be taken back. Jin Ling took it hard, bursting into sobs and running into the building, where he probably was headed to his room.

"Look at what you've done now!" you yelled at Jiang Cheng, who looked shocked. "You've made the poor boy cry! Give me his sword, so I can give it back to him. It's you who should rethink your life. What made you so harsh with the child? Don't you know he's suffering?"

"He's suffering, you're suffering, I'm suffering- we're all suffering. Suffering is no excuse for being a failure. You should know that. You're an orphan too, but you didn't let that make you a failure. Your grief didn't destroy you, it built you up. Jin Rulan is just a little damned bastard, and he'll get beat by Zidian if he doesn't improve soon!"

"Jiang Wanyin, you are the biggest bastard I have ever met. Not Jin Ling. But you. I'm packing my bags and going to Cloud Recesses. If you won't love me, maybe a nice Lan disciple will. Or maybe even the leader of the Nie clan. He seems like a sweet man..."

With that, you sauntered pridefully away, ignoring Jiang Cheng screaming your name behind you. You wanted to go to your room and pack your things, but first you had to go comfort Jin Ling. He really had been attacked hard by Jiang Cheng. The poor boy was already being bullied by the other juniors for not having parents. Sometimes you would see him sitting away from his class and crying on the bridge, over the lotuses- his late mother, Jiang Yanli's, favorite flower.

One time you had gone up to him and asked him if he was doing alright. His response broke your heart.

"My father planted my mother an entire garden of lotuses back at Carp Tower. But now they're not alive to see it. And their son isn't worthy to even lay his eyes on them. I'm so pathetic, Master/Mistress L/N. Pay me no mind. I'm just a foolish child."

Ever since then, you had tried to stand up for him when he got bullied and protect him. But seeing an adult stand up for him just made the bullies attack him more. The poor child could never win, no matter what path he chose. But you were there to forge a new path for him, a path that you would assure would lead to a profitable goal for him and for others. But first you needed to tell him about it.

Even just standing outside his door, you could hear his loud heartbreaking sobs and wails. He was tossing from side to side on his bed- the subtle creaks and ruffling sounds proved that. He was probably having a temper tantrum. The poor boy.

"Mama... take me away," you heard him sob. "I don't want to be here anymore. Take me away!"

You were terrified by hearing that, so you flung the door open and rushed into the room, flying to Jin Ling's bedside like a vengeful angel. You collapsed on your knees there and cried out, "Please don't leave this world, Jin Ling!"

"Oh, Master/Mistress L/N! Help me!" he wailed, falling down to the ground and throwing his arms around you. "It hurts!"

"Precious one," you whispered, stroking his tangled hair, wet with sweat and tears. "Stay by my side. I won't let anyone hurt you."

"But Uncle- he said-"

"Don't worry about what that old fool Jiang Cheng says. He's always angry and tired, and he takes it out on his disciples. You're doing perfectly, my precious one. Perfectly. Don't worry about what anyone else has to say."

"I'm not worthy," he sobbed and shook. "No, n-not worthy!"

"You're worthy."

Jiang Cheng's broken voice rang out from where he stood in the doorway of his nephew's room, tears streaming from his eyes and dyeing his skin pink with dryness and pain.

Now that he was up close, you could finally see how exhausted he was. His eyes had black circles and huge bags underneath them. His wrinkles around his eyes were coming in far too early. His lips were chapped white from lack of water, and his serious weight loss suggested that he had forgotten to eat meals and hydrate himself, he was so busy and tied up with making sure that everything was perfect.

You got up and hesitantly ran your hands down his arms, shocked at the weight he had lost. He used to have thick, muscular arms and shoulders that you could lean and rest on. Now his shoulder blades were just bones jutting out, and his arms were just sticks. He had no life in his eyes, no life in his body. It was as if he was a puppet! You were scared and shocked by this change in the man you loved. How long had this been happening, why hadn't you noticed it earlier?

"Uncle, I'm sorry! I'm sorry, I'm a failure!" Jin Ling sobbed.

"No. No, you're my nephew. I love you," Jiang Cheng whispered. "I love you..."

He ran to Jin Ling and threw his arms around him, sobbing and wailing, "I'm sorry! I love you! I'm sorry!"

"Uncle, you're dying!" Jin Ling exclaimed, feeling the shocking loss of weight and weakness in his uncle's bones. It was as if someone could snap his arms in two with one gentle pull. How long had Jiang Cheng been depriving himself of basic human needs?

"N-no... not dying... I-I'm afraid," Jiang Cheng gasped. "Afraid of dying. I'm so afraid."

Jin Ling lovingly stroked his uncle's hair and whispered, "It'll all be okay. It'll all be okay."

"Y/N! I love you!" Jiang Cheng sobbed. "Please don't leave me. Please!"

"I won't, my love. I'll never leave you."

Jin Ling wrapped his arms around you and pulled you into his embrace. Now you were united in the Jiang clan hug. And you felt like a part of a huge family.

"I love you both," you murmured softly, enveloped in the two mens' warmth. "I'll forever love you."

"Forever."