thirty three

Isla's POV:

It was the Thursday before the first Hogsmeade weekend. It was thunderously pouring outside but surprisingly not as cold as a normal autumn day. Ron and Harry had just come back from Quidditch practice; muddy and with wet and shaggy hair.

"I don't understand why you practice in such terrible weather conditions," Hermione huffed when Ron walked over to the common room fire to warm up.

"We have to get all the practices in we can before the game on Sunday," Harry said. "Speaking of the weekend, is everyone going to Hogsmeade?" Ron and Hermione nodded.

"I'm going to Hogsmeade this weekend, but I'll be studying with my friend for half the time. Maybe I can meet up with you guys for a butterbeer afterwards?" I felt guilty about lying. Hermione shook her head and let out a small laugh.

"What?" I asked.

"Your friend?" Hermione slammed her book shut and put it down. "Who is it?"

"You know Hannah Abbott from Hufflepuff?" I asked.

"Merlin, isn't she dreamy," Ron said under his breath but loud enough for all of us to hear.

"When did you two become friends?" Hermione asked, ignoring Ron's comment.

In all honesty, I had probably only ever spoken to her five times. "Recently," I lied. "We have a few classes together."

"That's odd because I never see you two talking-" Hermione started to continue.

"Stop prying, Mione!" I said with unexpected annoyance. Her smirk suddenly fell to a stunned expression. She got up, grabbing her book, and started towards the girls dormitories.

"Wait," I called, running after her. "Hermione wait." I stood in front of the staircase to the dorms, blocking the way. She started to turn around and walk towards the door out of the common room, but I grabbed her arm, turning her around and taking her hands in mine.

"What has been going on with you lately?" I asked. "With us?"

Hermione's watery brown eyes looked up to me, holding a deep eye contact we hadn't had in weeks. She immediately looked down again.

"Hermione, please," I begged.

"I'm only acting like this because of you," she said softly, tightly closing her eyes. "I'm not quite sure what you're up to yet, but I know it's not good."

"All I want is to tell you the truth," I said, hearing my voice start to crack. "But I can't. You have to believe me, Hermione."

She opened her eyes but kept them glued to the bottom of her robe that dragged only slightly on the ground. Her feet fiddled with the small piece of scuffed dark red and black fabric.

"You're my best friend," I squeezed her hands but they just lay motionless with no sign of interest what-so-ever. She let out a cry and pushed past me. Once her last curl was out of sight I turned back around to the boys.

"What was that about?" Harry asked. I returned to the couch and curled up next to Harry, unconcerned of his dampness and smell.

"I'm going to shower and start working on my homework," Ron mumbled, quickly getting up and leaving us to an empty common room. An upcoming Potions test was keeping everyone in their rooms studying frantically.

Harry's warmth bleed onto me and his steady breath distracted me from my thoughts. My lies.

"Isla-" Harry started to say.

"I can't explain it right now," I whispered. "I'm sorry."

"You don't have to apologize. You can take your time," he whispered back, planting kisses on my head. "I was just warning you that I'm getting you dirty. I'm a bit disheveled after that practice."