Chapter Nine: Defence Against The Dark Arts

Lessons started with quite the unexpected velocity as you joined all bundled into the Defence and Against the Dark Arts. Expecting mere OWLS practice it was quite the shocker when the Alastor walked in, hobbling but fast and angry. 

"Alastor Moody...." he grunts as he writes his name on the board a screech of chalk making you wince as he scrapes across underlining his messily written name. You were sat in your usual place at Fred next to you, it was the only lesson you were actually sat together and it had suddenly become your favourite. "Ministry malcontent.... and your new defence against the dark arts teacher. I'm here because Dumbledore asked me, end of story, goodbye, the end. Any questions?" No one spoke a word.  "When it comes to the dark arts, I believe in a practical approach." he grunted manically again... he paced the front of the room as he got his wand out. "But first, which of you can tell me how many unforgivable curses there are?" 

"Three sir." Jade who was sat behind you next to George answered a little shakily even though she knew she was right. 

"And they are so named?" He pushes for more, pointing at Angelina for the extra information.

"Because they are unforgivable. Use of any one of them will..." the Gryffindor quidditch player is interrupted by Moody. 

"Will earn you a one way ticket to Azkaban! Correct. Now the ministry says you're too young to see what these curses do. I say different! You're almost at the end of school now. . ." He starts getting something prepared, back facing you and the class as he talks "You need to know what you're up against, you need to be prepared, you need to find somewhere else to put your chewing gum other than the underside of your desk Mr Jordan!" He yells spinning round. 

"Aw no way, the old codger can see out the back of his head." At Lee's astonished retort Mad-Eye throws the chalk at him in anger. 

"So, which curse shall we see first? Weasley!!" He yells.

"Yes?" The twins reply in unison, causing a slight trickle of laughter from the class and a roll of the eyes from Moody.

"That one. Give us a curse." Mad-Eye scuttles towards George. 

"Well, our dad did tell us about one... The imperious curse." He said looking up, not sure what to do as mad-Eye watched him eagerly. 

"Ahhh yes, your father would know all about that. Gave the ministry quite a bit of grief a few years ago. Perhaps this will show you why." Moody goes back to the table at the front, taking a ugly looking spider out of the jar. "Hello." He coos at it "what a little beauty he says proudly." 

You give Fred a wtf look and he grins, clearly enjoying your discomfort at the spider as Moody uses his wand to send it around the class. "Don't worry. Completely harmless." Moody titters as he drops it on a girls head, she screams and the boys laugh, so he drops it on their laps, the panic then equal. Moody laughs joyfully as the unsettle class watch the spider. "But if she bites... she's lethal!" He continues to parade the spider about. "Talented isn't she? What shall I have her do next? Jump out the window?" His tone becomes sinister as he throws the spider towards the closed window, drown herself?" Mad-Eye hangs the spider over a bucket of water, watching wriggling, trying to escape. "Scores of witches and wizards have claimed that they only do did you-know-whose bidding under the influence of the imperious curse." he said as he pulls the spider away, putting it into his hand. The class goes silent. "But here's the rub" Moody says jolting everyone into action "how do we sort out the liars? Another, another, come on come on!"