Chapter Eight: The Triwizard Tournament

As you make you way though the grounds towards the great hall, fixing your tie and robes you bump into the twins and the trio looking out at the Great Lake and sky above. 

"Whats everyone staring at?" You pop your head out between the them. Hermione smiles a greeting before pointing out in the direction of four flying horses pulling a carriage though the air as it comes into land, you hear cheering as it swoops overhead. Then a large ship busts free from under the water, looking menacing and proud. 

"Well theres something you don't see everyday" Harry mused. 

"This the 'something special is coming to Hogwarts, your parents were talking about?"  you look at the twins who shrug. 

. . . . . 

Once settled in the great hall, in your spot next to Cedric and directly behind Lee and the twins the chatter of excited catch ups and anticipation for the year ahead is cut short by Dumbledore wanting everyones attention. Its then that you spot Barty Crouch amongst the teachers. 

"Now we're all settles and sorted..." he makes a motion to the first years "I'd like to make an announcement! This year, the castle will not only be your home but home to some very special guests. Hogwarts has been chosen. . ." Dumbledore is interrupted by Filtch running thought the great hall, a slight limp to his unusual run, he whispers something in the headmasters ears before running back the way he came. You smirk at Cedric who laughs with you. Blinking back into action after the odd intrusion, Dumbledore continues his announcement. "Hogwarts has been chosen to host a legendary event. The Tri-Wizard Tournament!!" Theres gasps amongst the older students, you all chat excitedly but hush as Dumbledore continues to explain.

"You're JOKING!" Fred erupts loudly.

"Now for those of you who do not know, the tri-wizard tournament brings together three school for a series of magical contests. From each school a single contestant is selected to compete." He lets that sink in "Now let me be clear, If chosen you stand alone." his tone gets a dark edge to it "and trust me when I say, these contests are not for the faint hearted, but more of that later." he lightens up again "For now, please join me in welcoming the lovely ladies of the Beauxbatons Academy of Magic and their headmistress, Madam Maxime!" As the final words leave his mouth, a group of elegantly dressed girls in blue dance up the isle, realising butterflies as they sigh causing everyone to applaud. 

"Blimey, that's one big woman" you jest but the twins eyes are following the girls as they delicately titter up the isle towards their seats. You roll you eyes in jealousy. 

"And now for our friends from the north, please greet the proud sons of Durmstrang and the High Master Igor Karkaroff.  "Karkaroff...?" you whisper, knowing you've heard that name before. 

"Ex-Death-Eater" Cedric leans forward to whispers to you, confirming question as a series of older boys walk up the aisle, brandishing staffs that spark as they hit the ground in a rhythmic stomp.

"Blimey! Thats him, that's Viktor Krum!" Ron marvels as he walks past, one of the boys breathing fire as they end their little display taking their seats, Karkaroff greets Dumbledore as if best palls. You're chatting to Cedric about the tri-wizard tournament, trying to sus out the completion as you eat when Dumbledore calls for everyones attention again. 

"Your attention please!" He calls loudly as everyone turns "I would like to say a few words." He pauses "Eternal glory! That is what awaits the student who wins the tri-wizard tournament. But to do this, that student must survive three tasks. Three extremely dangerous tasks." His tone darken's again. 

"Wicked" You hear the twins say in unison. "I'm going for it!" Fred Weasley hisses down the table, his face lifting up with enthusiasm at the prospect of such glory and riches. 

"For this reason, the ministry has seen it fit to impose a new rule. To explain all this we have the Head of the Department of International Magic Cooperation, Mr Bartimus Crouch!" Thunder rips though the ceiling and rain begins leaking from the roof just as Barty makes his way to the front. A strange man stands in the doorway, he casts some magic upwards and seals the roof, the panic that almost arose is squashed. 

"Bloody hell, that's Mad-Eye Moody!" You whisper across the table to the gang. 

"Alastor Moody? The Aura?" Hermione questions. 

"He was a character" Cedric mutters and you laugh, missing a slight steely stare from Fred. 

"Half the cells in Azkaban are full thanks to him. He's supposed to be mad as a hatter though these days" Ron expands your comment to a confused Harry. As Moody walks into the hall, limping, his eye twitching around mechanically he greets Dumbledore. 

"My dear old friend, thanks for coming!"

"That stupid roof!" Mad-Eye greets him back before the headmaster goes back to Barty as Moody takes a drink.

"Whats that he's drinking do you think?" Harry looks at you. 

"I don't know but I don't think its Pumpkin Juice" Harry then looks at Moody with suspicion. Back to hush, Dumbledore let's Barty awkwardly announce the new rules.

"After much deliberation the Ministry has concluded that, for their own safety, no student under the age of seventeen shall be allowed to put their name forth for the tri-wizard tournament. The decision is final."The students from all schools erupt into chaos, unhappy students shout and talk.

"Thats rubbish!!" The twins shout loudly in protest, being not quite seventeen yet but would be before the Tournament would end. "You don't know what you're doing!" George adds loudly. As much as you felt for them, and even had briefly considered putting your name down too, an almost glorious rush of relief washed over you knowing neither of the twins could get hurt.

"Silence!!" Dumbledore boomed causing immediate co-operation. Dumbledore casts magic over a box which melts away revelling an ornate Goblet containing an eternal blue flame. "The Goblet of Fire." He explains, every student and teacher mesmerised by it. "Anyone wishing to submit themselves for the tournament merely write their name upon a piece of parchment and throw it into the flame" he pauses changing tone again "Do not so lightly, if chosen theres no turning back. As from this moment, the tri-wizard tournament has begun."