Chapter 23: Ashamed

Nanon's POV

I am in a gift shop, to get a card for Chimon to apologise. It has been 3 days after the engagement party. He didn't speak anything that day, except small formal introduction to Pluem. It hurt when he acted like we are strangers. So I decided to apologise for my behaviour and reconcile with him.

I found a card with pikachu images. He loves pikachu. Inside the card it was written, 'The homepage of our relationship cannot be currently displayed because of a server error. Can we please click on the refresh button and start over again?'. This is it. It perfectly fits with the situation. I bought the card and wrote 'I am sorry Chi.' I know he likes and values handwritten notes. With a satisfied smile I went to his house.

I rang the door bell and was waiting anxiously. It is not the first time I am going to apologise to him, but it felt different. This time it was no fight, just avoiding him which lead to a break. Since there was no response, I knocked the door.

The door opened to reveal uncle Off. He was surprised to see me. "Hi uncle, I came to meet Chimon" I said smiling.

"Oh, he is out on a date with Pluem"

"Ok then, I will come later, bye uncle" I said and turned to leave.

"Non, wait" he said making me stop. "Are you free now?" He asked hopefully. Looks like he was little drunk. "Yes uncle" I replied and he lead me inside. We reached the porch near the garden area. I was right. He was drinking.

"Have some" he took the glass to pour for me but I stopped him. "I have to drive uncle" I politely refused. "Ok then, how are you? I heard you cleared your arrear. Did you applied for any job?" He started asking about my life. I wanted to roll my eyes but I didn't. Why do these uncles always bother about other's business?

"Yes uncle, I didn't apply for any job" I replied smiling silencing my thoughts. "If you are interested you can work in my company" he said sipping his drink casually.

"No uncle, I am not interested" I said in a high pitched voice and quickly got up from my seat. The thought of going back to that squatting business terrored me.

"Oii if you are not interested just say. Don't over react" he rolled his eyes saying that. I sat smiling awkwardly.

"Then what are you planning to do?"

"I like acting, I am going to pursue it" I said and was eager to know how he would react.

"Very good! Go ahead! I have seen some of your shortfilms, Chimon showed them. You are young and talented, all the best" he said showing thumbs up.

I was shocked. I didn't expect him to be supportive. I thought he will also scold me like my dad or advise me to rethink my decision. I was so touched by him.

"Thank you uncle, you have no idea how much this means to me. Even my dad didn't encourage me like this. To be honest, he didn't even speak to me. He thinks I am going to embarass him and waste my life" I let out to him.

"Non, come with me" he got up from his seat and went upstairs. I quietly followed him. Even we were married for a year I have never came to his house, especially upstairs.

He stopped on reaching the living room upstairs and turned on the light. After adjusting to the sudden light, I saw the photos in the wall.

It was pictures of toilets! Yes, toilets of various size. Some were for houses and some were public toilets. This man is really weird! I appreciated him just a moment ago, and now his hall of fame has photos of toilets!

He went and stood in front of a woman's portrait. "She is my mother" he let out a sad sigh. "You know, my native is a poorly developed village. We don't even had toilet those days. Everyone will go near bushy areas to take their shit in early morning." I was listening intently because I know some villages were like that. It is my first time hearing story of someone who actually lived there.

"My mother died due to snake bite. If only my house had a toilet, she would have lived long with us" his voice was trembling and tears were falling. I went and held his hand, hoping it would help.

"That day I decided, no other person should die like my mom. No other kid should suffer like me. I planned to build free toilets in my village. When I said about this to my relatives they laughed at me. They mocked me. They said I can't do anything. So I came to the city, worked day and night without rest, finally I built this company."

After a small pause, he continued, "Now I built nearly 200 free toilets, not only in my village but also some other rural villages. Those who mocked me are now appreciating me" he said with a proud smile. I also felt proud of him.

"What I am coming to say is, there will be always someone to discourage you, mock at you. But remember, spectators will never become winners. You keep trying" he said patted my shoulder encouragingly. I was so wrong.

I felt ashamed of how I insulted him when I fought with Chi. I insulted his company as just some toilet company, but he was a man with vision. He is making a change in his society. Chi was right. I am not fit to talk about him.

___________________________________

Please do vote and comment.

Thank you for reading💖