004

. . .

DÍS

. . .

Dís tried to keep ahead of the tension by looking around. The streams were surrounded by high, white buildings that bathed in a light blue gloom. It was probably the reflection of the moonlight, but Dís had never seen something like that and she could only credit its beauty to magic.

The elf houses were high and turreted, as if they all tried to come as close to the stars as possible. Arched bridges connected the buildings and the white stones that lied upon the path glittered like a silver wedding dress. A sigh slipped her lips. This place seemed so perfect it could only be an illusion, a facade to veil something horrific.

They crossed a square. To the right of them was a fountain that waded transparent water. It made Dís remember her thirst and the other things that bothered her: her hungry stomach, her hurt feet and her heavy eyelids.

On the square stood a building that was larger than the others. White pillars arose out of the ground and bore a triangular roof. The walls were smooth and simple, without complex carvings and sculpted figures. The simplicity emphasized its beauty and it made her hold her breath. It differed from the palace she'd lived in, but it was unmistakably the home of a king. An elf king.

The two elves spoke some words to the guards that stood at the end of the shining stairs.

"Come in," someone said.

Dís stretched her hand towards the balustrade and lifted herself up step by step. The stairway was made for creatures that were twice as tall as she was, so it took a lot of effort to get to the top. Fíli would however be helped when she got there and that promise helped her to move on.

Once she was there, she intertwined her fingers while walking behind the elves that took her son to a chamber. The roof was open and moonlight shone inside, upon a bed with a pallid blanket.

"Lord Elrond is on his way," an elf announced.

Dís stared out of the window. How would the man react on their arrival? It was in the middle of the night and they kept him from sleeping. From the corner of her eyes she noticed Thorin paced up and down as well. Kíli however was most calm of all of them. He had wrapped his arms around his brother's body and leaned with his head against his shoulder.

A hint of a smile appeared on her face when she saw her children. She was glad they had each other. Nothing was more important than family. Those relationships rose above passion and friendship and it warmed her heart to see the bond between her sons. Dís herself didn't know what she would have done without Thorin and she felt lucky that he still cared so much about her, just as Kíli and Fíli did.

The smile froze on her face when an elf entered the room. The expression on his face was earnest and there was nothing that showed that he had been sleeping. His hair was just as dark as hers and a thin crown circled around his head.

"Show our guests a room," he said to the two elves who'd found them. He stepped towards the bed and had only eyes for her wounded son.

"Please, go to your parents," he said softly to Kíli, who put his thumb in his mouth and let the man help him to get off the bed. The elf seemed a little confused when Kíli didn't let go of his hand and Dís hastened towards her son and took his other hand. For a moment she looked into the bright eyes of the elf king.

"Thank you," she whispered, not knowing what else she could say.

Kíli's gaze was aimed at his brother. Apparently he didn't notice that he still held the hand of lord Elrond.