50

[JACKSON AVERY]
Seattle, Washington

[JACKSON AVERY]Seattle, Washington

˚*•̩̩͙✩•̩̩͙*˚

Two surgeries before ten in the morning left little to no space for a thought in Jackson's head. Although there were plenty of things he could've thought of while he opened up patient after patient on the table before him, somehow, he seemed to completely tune out.

Though, as he had come to realise, that seemed to be for the better.

Everything he knew, turned upside down. Coming out of nowhere, like lightning on a storm filled night. Struck when he didn't see it. A few days later he still couldn't quite wrap his mind around what had happened, hence his quiet approach to everything.

Bella Ledford broke up with him.

Where he usually felt frustrated with things, he simply did not care. Where he usually felt excited by moments, he simply did not care. Where he usually felt overwhelmed and worried, he simply did not care.

Nothing sparked his attention, and he didn't wish for anything to do so.

Jackson learned of Meredith and Nathan's journey to a conference that started with them having to perform a tricky technique on board a plane, during a heavy storm. The plane got tossed around in the turbulence, quite a few injured patients coming off of it in the end. Almost immediately after, the success story hit the news. It travelled fast and created a buzzing environment.

He had felt none of it. He cared for none of it.

While everyone else at work made it their top priority to attend the press conference in the auditorium, he found himself walking over to the next surgery on his agenda. He plucked a surgical mask from the box and tied it around his neck then pushed the door in to the scrub room. The white band of it just made it over his head when he noticed the space occupied.

"Oh," he breathed. "I thought Ryan was in on this."

Just as Jackson stood across from the sink, Maggie placed her phone on the upper side of the wall and said, "I tagged in," so Jackson nodded. She went on to ask, "R.A.M. or L.D.M. flap?"

"Uh... neither, actually," he responded while he gave her a quick glance. "We're doing an E.O.M. Did you get a chance to look over the chart?"

Maggie opened the tap and Jackson could feel her attention slide over onto his face. "Yeah, I'm caught up."

"Great," he sighed and ran his arm under the flowing water. The buzzing of the phone against the metal caught him slightly off guard, noting a moment later that Meredith tried to reach the surgeon beside him. "Grey's calling you. I just got started. You want me to grab that?"

"No," she said quietly, scrubbing at her arm with the sponge. "Just leave it, Jackson."

"Alright," he pulled his arm back and went to scrub in. He noticed how frustrated Maggie seemed, and asked, "Are you alright?"