27

[BELLA LEDFORD]
Seattle, Washington

[BELLA LEDFORD]Seattle, Washington

˚*•̩̩͙✩•̩̩͙*˚

The last thing Bella expected to happen was for Yang to leave shortly after she lost the Harper Avery. When she poked around the subject, she managed to figure out that Cristina had a different motivator to make the move, and it happened to be a better job opportunity. Following her recent visit to a hospital in Switzerland, she found she had been offered a position as Chief Medical Officer, and Director of Cardiothoracic Surgery at the Klausman Institute for Medical Research. It made perfect sense to leave, Bella thought, knowing that she would've done the exact same thing.

While she knew the truth, and it became common knowledge not too long after, some people still seemed to believe the young doctor was simply fed up of being played the way she had been and that's why she left. In fact, after it was out in the open that none of the surgeons at Grey Sloan Memorial would ever be able to win a Harper Avery Award decided to pack their bags and find luck elsewhere.

Bella received two resignation letters from her department. This put her and her ability to match people to the job to the test immediately. She set out to hire two surgeons as soon as possible, which meant she pulled back from surgery for a couple of weeks. In that time, she scanned resumes like her life depended on it—and it sort of did—and spent any free time she had on working on other department files that needed attention.

By the time she had done the interviews and made her final selection, working closely with the Chief, she was starving for some blood on her gloves. Pulled straight to the ER, she wasn't only welcomed by a patient with half of their hair burned off, and a large head lac that should've caused the woman to lose consciousness, but also the new Head of Cardio.

Checking over the patient, Bella didn't have much time to converse with the woman. She didn't deem it too important, so she waited until they were in the scrub room together. As the water poured from the tap on the surgeon's side, Bella started scrubbing at her arm with the brush.

"Dr Ledford, right?" the surgeon turned her head towards Bella, smiling gently, and it made her look back. After Bella hummed, confirming her name, the cardio surgeon continued. "I don't think we've met yet as I've not seen you around since I've arrived. I'm Maggie. Maggie Pierce. I'd shake your hand but..." she chuckled, making Bella smile. They were both soapy up to their elbows.

She seemed lovely, though.

"Well, it's nice to meet you, Maggie. Maggie Pierce," Bella tried to joke but as soon as the words came out of her mouth, she regretted them. It didn't sound half as funny as she thought.

What surprised Bella was the chuckle that came from the surgeon. So, it was funny. It brought a smile to Ledford's face, and she had a feeling that this would be a pleasant surgery to be a part of.