Chapter 58: Home again

Two men had their backs to us. Both were too wrapped up in arguing with each other that neither noticed our intrusion. Given that they were now lying unconscious face first in the dirt I doubt they ever really would.

I watched Merle out of the corner of my eye as we swept into the old warehouse at the back. He moved with precision checking all the blind spots and covering my six.

Clinging to the dusty walls we made light work of sweeping the few rooms laden with old machinery and large wooden crates long forgotten.

There was a small whistle from Merle and I stopped in my tracks. He nodded towards a metal door on the other side. The only issue there, being the corridor between us and the door coupled with the loud voices of three men, at minimum, arguing not too far away from us.

Merle peered down the corridor watching the movements of the three before crossing quickly and dragging me along to keep us out of sight.

"Shit, locked," Merle grunted trying to open the door with more force than before.

"Well, a locked door never stopped me when I was younger doubt it will now. You keep watch."

Out of the side pocket of my cargo trousers, I pulled a small leather pouch. After rolling it open I selected two tools before returning the leather pouch to my pocket.

"You know, If you weren't a cop you woulda made a good crook," Merle whispered as I toyed with the lock picks in the lock. "How did you learn to pick locks anyway didn't you need a warrant for that shit?"

"Picked this skill up before I was a fed." I smiled as I heard the familiar sound of a lock clicking. I tried the handle and the door crept open to reveal a small arsenal inside.

"So you liked getting inta places you ain't supposed to get into?"

"No, well, maybe a little but I mostly just enjoyed not being left for rot alone in my room by my parents," I admitted never looking round to Merle just unzipped one of the empty bags I brought and threw the other to him. Hoping he got the hint that I didn't want to spend any more time on the subject.

We packed the bags quickly and I hoped for a split second that we might get out without a fight. Of course, as soon as the thought was formed, there was yelling headed in our direction.

"I'm telling you someone went in there!" The harsh tone was laced with a twinge of fear.

"Stop making shit up, Greg. You just wanna ignore that you fucked up big this time!" The second voices emotions were much more straightforward. Pissed.

Merle and I had both ceased our packing and zipped up our packs.

I pressed my ear to the door hearing the heavy footsteps of two men blundering down the corridor.

"I'm not making this up!"

The handle jerked and the door swung open revealing two men holding automatics.
Reacting quickly, I kicked the closest man in the chest he went down with a crack.

In the same second, there was a gun in my face but Merle had his gun pressed against the second man's head. I was surprised he hadn't pulled the trigger.

"Put it down, I ain't gonna ask twice."

The first man groaned and grabbed his head whilst Merle and the other locked eyes both refusing to move or blink.

"How bout you put yours down an I won't blow this bitches brains all over the wall," The man suggested. He was too busy having some sort of battle of testosterone with Merle to notice my gun.