Chapter 19: Burial

"We need to start burying," I said looking about the corpses.

"We need a service. Carol would want that," Andrea spoke up.

"Yeah, we all want that," T-dog agreed.

"Let's um... let's dig a grave for Sophia, and Annette, and Shawn. Uh, over by those trees. We'll need a truck to move the bodies," Lori suggested and everyone went to work.

I sighed and went off back to the house where I found Glenn and Maggie together. They both looked at me upon hearing me arrive with my not so quiet footsteps from the heavy combat boots I was wearing.

"Maggie...I'm so sorry about what happened," I said sincerely.

"It's alright. You didn't have a choice and I'm sorry about Sophia. I know you and Daryl both got hurt looking for her," she replied as I almost subconsciously placed a hand on part of the injury at its mention.

"Thanks, um, do you know where the shovels are? We were going to start digging the graves," I explained offering a weak smile.

"They're in the shed around back," She answered.

I brought the shovels to the tree where people were congregating and handed them out. I started trying to dig but it hurt and as I kept going it only got worse. I kept ramming the shovel into the ground tossing the dirt aside taking out my anger on the ground.

"Lilith, I'll take that," Rick said gently wrapping a hand around the handle of the shovel. I glanced up at him and saw the worried look on his face. My side was flaring with pain.

"Okay," I said quietly. "I'll go check on Carol," I decided.

"Yeah go do something you're actually good at," I heard Shane mumble.

I stop in my tracks.

"You know what fuck you Shane and if you've got something to say. Say it to my face," I snapped. He was the reason we would be kicked out of this land. He was the reason we would be fighting for our lives struggling for food and shelter and medical care.

"Like you have?" he retorted. "I've seen the glares you've been sendin' my way for ages now!"

"With good bloody reason. All you've done is fuck things up and act like a bloody nutcase!"

Shane looked furious and I was glad I finally had a go at him. No one seemed to be talking about how he was acting not in front of anyone anyway. Lori was distant from him even if she didn't realise she was doing it and Rick didn't quite seem to look at Shane the same way he used to either.

Shane glared at me and I glared back before Rick stepped between us.

"Alright enough, we'll deal with this later. For now, we bury the dead," Rick told us and sent me a pleading look to back down.

"Fine, for now," I said.

"Fine," Shane agreed.

"Prick," I muttered walking off in the direction of the RV.

By the time I was walking up the small clunky metal stairs I had cooled down a bit.

"Hey," I greeted Daryl quietly noticing him sat on the counter.

"Hey, you okay? We heard the shouting from here," Daryl asked.

"Yeah, I just laid into Shane a little bit. I mean it's not like he doesn't deserve it," I half-laughed as I sat myself down opposite Carol trying not to wince at the pain in my side.

Carol was staring out of the RV window with an unreadable expression. Something I had seen so many times. First was the shock, the disbelief and once that had settled the tears and crying came. But soon people ran out of tears left to cry and all there seemed to be almost nothing left.

I reached across the table and grabbed her small hand gently prompting her to look at me.
"If you need anything, I'm here whenever you need me," I told her giving her hand a little squeeze.

"Thank you," She gave me a small smile.

------

"What's wrong with her?" Maggie asked worriedly looking at her little sister. Beth had collapsed in the kitchen sending the dishes flying and now she lay stone stiff and pale in the bed staring at the ceiling with unseeing eyes.

"It could be due to shock. The best person to ask would be your father. Have you seen him?" I questioned.

"We can't find him anywhere," Glenn answered leaning against a wall with his arms crossed across his chest.

"Lori, can you get Rick for me? If Hershel's gone we need to find him before something happens."

She nodded and headed back outside in the dismal day.

I was in Hershel's room fishing through various things when Rick entered with Shane. They helped me go through his things trying to find a clue as to where Hershel may have gone.

"Looks like he found an old friend," Shane announced throwing Rick and empty metal flask.

Maggie explained to us Hershel's old habits and it was clear that, with the loss of his wife and stepson, he had fallen back into them.

Rick wanted to go after Hershel but no one else seemed to want to other than Glenn and I was still uncertain. On one hand, Hershel was the only thing standing in the way of us staying here and so with him out of the way we could stay as long as we wanted but as much as I may want to stay and keep the group here. I couldn't in good conscious leave a man to likely get drunk and then feasted on by walkers. More to the point there had been too much loss and Maggie and her family didn't need anymore.

I stared out over the large grasslands and beyond into the trees. I cracked my knuckles as I thought over the day how much had changed so quickly.

Finding Sophia. I had almost idealised at this point. Finding the poor girl a little banged up but alive and getting to return her to Carol. Everyone would be happier and a new hope would have been restored. All the work would have meant something. Getting injured would have meant something.

I left the floorboards move and heard the clunking of boots. Rick sat down beside me.

"I know it's not right of me to ask but-"

"You want me to come with you?" I cut him off knowing what he was going to say.

"You've probably dealt with more negotiations than me and I need Hershel to come back because...Lori's pregnant," he admitted. My eyes widened.

"I wasn't expecting that," I said a little shocked. "Congratulations, I suppose," I clapped my hand on Rick's shoulder. "And yes I will come," I decided. Hershel had the best medical knowledge he would be vital for Lori and the baby to have his best chance.