Chapter 45: Keep Going

A/N 25K!! I really can't believe it! And I can't thank you guys enough for staying with this story. It really means a lot to me! So without further ado, I hope you enjoy the chapter!

Salem

Sleep didn't really come that night. Too many thoughts spiralled around my head. Every time I tried to rest and close my eyes all I could see was the people we had lost. T-dog, Carol, Lori, Dale, Sophia, Noah.

I never moved not wanting to wake Daryl and make him worry or anyone else for that matter. I just laid still and stared at the cold stone ceiling. When the light from the sun finally crept into the prison, I decided to get up hoping it wouldn't worry anyone.

Needing to keep my mind occupied, I checked on the baby that was settled down in Carl's room. The boy was still asleep; the sheriff's hat was tipped over and balanced against the bed poll. I crept into the room and peered over the side of the cot. The baby was stirring slightly in her sleep and making a few cute noises before she opened her eyes.

Seeing as no one else was up yet, I thought it would be best to try and feed her. That way there could all sleep a little longer without being woken up by crying. Gently, and slightly nervously, I picked up the small thing and managed to cradle her in one arm and then pick up the small crib with the other and moved out into the cafeteria.

By the time the others began to file in, I had made breakfast for them all and set it down on the tables. I was perched on the stairs with the baby who was eagerly drinking down the bottle of formula as I held her gently.

"Looks like we've got ourselves a prison wife," Glenn joked as he and Maggie wandered in and spotted the breakfast waiting for them.

"You ever call me that again Glenn and I'll be poisoning your food," I returned with a bright smile.

Maggie laughed at Glenn who looked very concerned at my statement.

"I don't think calling that woman a prison wife is a good idea man," Oscar patted Glenn on the back as he came in and grabbed one of the bowls before coming to sit by me.

"Thanks for us letting in," He said between a few spoonfuls of porridge. Oscar glanced at me briefly as he spoke before returning to his meal.

"You can thank me by continuing to help. But trust me on this. If I get even the slightest doubt about you or Axel I'll boot you out myself if you're lucky," I said as I bounced the baby gently in my arms.

"And if we're not lucky?"

"She'll kill ya," Daryl answered for me as he grabbed another bowl and squished next to me on the staircase. He seemed a little protective which I didn't mind at all.

"Got it," Oscar nodded with a half-smile before returning to his food.

Once he was sure that no one was looking, Daryl kissed me on the cheek. Before returning to his food like nothing happened.
I leaned back over to him and kissed him back.

"Morning Angel," I whispered quietly with a small smile which he returned.

"Mornin' fancy pants."

"Everybody okay?"

My head shot up and I saw Rick walking into the room looking surprisingly well it was almost confusing.

"Yeah,"

"What about you?" Hershey questioned as I rose from my rather uncomfortable seat with little ass-kicker.

"Cleared out the boiler plot."

"How many were there?" Daryl asked.

"I don't know...a dozen. Two dozen. I have to get back. Just wanted to check on Carl." Rick placed a hand on his shoulder.