Chapter 20: Run into town

The ride was silent for the most part. Glenn was riding shotgun with Rick and I had draped myself over the back seat trying to sit at an angle which didn't hurt too much.

I noticed Glenn looking quite tense staring straight ahead his gaze unwavering from the long stretch of surprisingly untainted road.

"You alright there Glenn?" I questioned sitting up a little and crossing my legs on the seat not caring much for seatbelts anymore. I think the chances of a car crash are a lot slimer given the evident lack of beings able to drive.

"Maggie says she loves me," He admitted turning to look at Rick and I in turn.

I let out a huff of air and sat back with a smirk on my face. I may not be familiar with love myself but I could see it in others and I had seen the way Maggie had been looking at Glenn. Rick simply grinned seemingly ready to tease the man if the opportunity arose.

"She doesn't mean it. I mean she can't. You know, what? She's she's upset. Confused. And she probably feels like-"

"I think she's smart enough to know what she's feeling," Rick cut in attempting to calm the now mildly panicked man

"No, no," Glenn shook his head.

"Any help here Lilith as a member of the opposite sex," Rick glanced at me through the rearview mirror.

"Do I look like the type of person who's been in any kind of relationship before?" I laughed settling back in my seat. I was the kinda sad truth. I barely had friends and I had never been able to bring myself to get close to people in my later life. I'd had no reason to until now with people beginning to care for me and me no matter how hard I had not wanted to doing the same.

"Oh come on, there has to have been someone?" Rick question in disbelief.

I shook my head in reply.

"Unless there currently is someone," Glenn added teasingly slightly wiggling his eyebrows as he glanced at me.

"Seriously Glenn, this again?" I protested moving forward and leaning against the shoulder of Glenn's seat. "You and T have been giving me shit for this for too long already," I complained jabbing a finger at him.

"What's this about?" Rick questioned with a smirk plastered on his face. I glared at Glenn who simply grinned back enjoying the frustrated look I was giving him.

"The night that Daryl and Lilith came back from the search...they shared a bed," Glenn announced laughing as I let out an annoyed groan and fell back into my seat.

"Oh really?" Rick chuckled shooting me a look through the mirror.

"It wasn't intentional," I defended throwing my arms about. "We were talking. I was tired. The bed was comfy." I couldn't tell whether I was trying to convince them or myself or both.

"Yeah and it had Daryl," Glenn quipped. "Not to mention he had an arm around you when we walked in."

I kicked the back of his chair enjoying the annoyed whine that escaped his lips as he was thrown slightly from tbe leather seats.

"Okay, let's get two things straight. One, I do not fancy Daryl Dixon and two, although I do not know Maggie that well you do Glenn, and something tells me you know she loves you and because you don't know what to do with that you've been trying to talk yourself out of it then change the conversation," I finished with a smug grin spreading over my face as I dawned on Glenn that I was right on at least what had to do with him and Maggie.

"I agree with Lilith, on the second part at least," Rick said earning him a hit from me. "But I think it's pretty obvious to everyone that Maggie loves you and not just because you're one of the only men left standing. So what's the problem?" Rick asked glancing at Glenn briefly before looking back at the long stretch of road in front of us.

"I didn't say it back. I've never had a woman say that to me before, you know. Except for Mom and, and my sisters. But with Maggie it's different I mean wha- we barely know each other. What- what does she really know about me? Nothing. We're practically strangers. I didn't know what to do with it I just stood there like a jerk." He ranted getting more frustrated with himself.

"Hey, hey this is good. It's something we don't get enough of these days, enjoy it. Return the favour when we get back. It's not like she's going anywhere," Rick said with a smile.

Soon the small once picturesque town came into view. The houses were all various shapes and sizes and selling all sorts of different things.

Rick headed into the bar first I followed behind gun ready. The room was dark and full of dust. Many jugs and glasses still lined the tables all abandoned and claims covered in filth.

Hershel sat with his back to us.

"Hershel?"

"Who with you?" He asked with a slightly depressed tone, not even turning round.

"Lilith and Glenn," Rick answered.

"Maggie send him?"

"No, he volunteered. He's good like that," Rick replied as we approached Hershel who was nursing a glass of liquor.

"How many have you had?" I asked leaning against the bar scanning over the cabinets behind the bar becoming tempted to take some.

"Not enough," Hershel replied still staring into the glass.

"Let's finished this back up at home. Beth collapsed and is in some sort of state." Rick explained.

"We think it's due to shock. We think that's probably happening to you too. I know it's not easy trying to deal with the loss of those you love especially when you think you've got all the time in the world left but Beth needs you," I reasoned.

"What could I do. She needs her mother or rather to mourn. Like she should have done weeks ago. I robbed her of that I see that now." He took another sip from his glass.

He had lost all hope now it was like his world had completely caved in. All he believed had disappeared.

"Just go," Hershel insisted.

"I promised Maggie. I'd bring you home safe." Rick challenged.

Hershel gave a short laugh.
"Like you promised that little girl?"

My hand clamped around my gun in an attempt to subdue my anger. There was no need to bring Sophia into this. I marched behind the bar selecting a few bottles from behind the bar.

"Is this the plan then, keep drinking?" I asked slamming the bottles down on the cluttered counter causing it to shake slightly rattling a few of the glasses left abandoned on the bar.

"Maybe drink yourself to death?" Rick added marching back over to Hershel. "And leave your girls alone?"

The older man hit his glass down on the bar and finally turned to face us with whatever rage came through from the loss and hopelessness he was feeling.

"Alright, stop telling me how to care for my family, my farm. You people are like a plague!" He spat. "I did the Christian thing a gave you shelter and you destroyed it all!"

I was beginning to lose faith in Hershel the more he and Rick talked the obvious it became how crushed he was. Any semblance of hope he had once had was decimated and he believed that was true for everyone just how the world was now a congruence of hopeless depravity.

Rick had bought me along because he was worried that he wouldn't convince Hershel on his own but he needed to have more faith in himself for he was the only one capable of getting through to him. He understood Hershel best because they were in similar situations in charge of groups trying to keep them safe and alive.

Just as Rick seemed to have made some headway and Hershel seemed just about ready to return to the farm when the door of the bar creaked open.

My hand drifted towards my gun flicking open the catch on the holster and letting my hand settle on it in an almost comforting fashion.

"Son of a bitch. They're alive."