You need only Ask

Y/N POV
(Past Memory)

The weeks after his passing were filled with constant messages, meetings and arrangements. Once a month had passed something dreadful happened to tip everything over the edge once again: Dream's father was murdered in his sleep.

Funeral plans were made for the king and my father was nearly forgotten. I stood at his grave in the North with only Nick next to me.
Looking down at his name my heart seemed to slow to a beat I hardly felt. My mind stopped racing and remained blank.

Nick was fifteen now. He hugged me gently from behind and kissed my head.
That afternoon he and I climbed to my family home's roof and watched the evening fall.
His hand in mine.

"You're that special."
I turned to him.
"What?"
He smiled at me before returning his gaze to the new blinking stars.
"You're that special to both of them. Your mom. Your dad."

He squeezed my hand.
"She gave her life up because she knew how special you would be to this world. Because she loved you so much."
He gently held my face. I could feel the tears building.
"And your Da? He spent his life making sure that his little Rockstar would grow up to pursue her dreams in peace. Because he loved you and knew that your were far more special than him."

I cried and held onto his cotton sweater. He hugged me back. Not telling me to be stronger. To get over it. He indulged every bit of me at my worst.
"Thank you Pandas."
"No problem Sweetheart. You've always got me, I would burn the world, you just need to ask."

A few weeks later plans were made to place Clay as the new king of the SMP. The news was bouncing off everyone's tongues and ears in the city as I picked out some chocolate, caramel and oats from stalls to make cookies.

An older lady piled my belongings into a basket.
"What a lovely braid Miss."
She said as my long fishtail came out of my hood. I smiled.
"Thank you ma'am. I only recently found out how to do it. And thank you for my supplies."
She gave me a toothy grin.

As I walked a little boy bumped into me. He had blonde hair and bright ocean eyes with a red banner on his neck.
"Sorry! Sorry miss!"
He muttered as he picked up the oats bag that had fallen.
"Relax dear it's quite alright."

He met my eyes and his jaw dropped slightly.
"Y-You're the girl whose going to be crowned Lady of the North! Lady Y/N!"
He exclaimed excitedly. I bent down and put my finger over his mouth.
"Shh. Yes I am but don't go telling just everyone. Have a great day dear."

He nodded vigorously before dashing off to his friends.
Truthfully I wasn't her. I wasn't the Lady of the North. Wasn't ready to rule. I still wanted to run away over those dangerous seas. Experience the world under my feet.
But duty overcomes desire.

I climbed the castle steps and made my way to the kitchen. Sapnap stood there, looking out its windows to the gardens. No servants were running around like they should. But I'd didn't pay any heed to it.
I jumped onto my tippy toes and pecked his cheek.

"Hey Pandas. You would not believe the commotion in the market today I mean you'd think that the guards could at least keep some form of lines or queues up but then again there were so many kids chasing each other as well an-"
"Shut up!"

His voice boomed across the stone walls.
I tensed up. Placed my basket down. He rolled his eyes to the ceiling, a smile resting on his face but it was off...evil...
"Could you be any more annoying?"