Old Friend

Y/N POV

I sat underneath the willow in the royal garden. George was busy adjusting the strings of his guitar next to me while Clay and Nick chased each other through the field.

"What's song do you want?"
He asked and I smiled, still reading my book.
"George you can't even play that properly yet."
From my peripheral vision I saw him gasp in offense.
"Course I can! Watch I'll play This is Home!"

He started the song and sure enough the notes were all correct and it's flowed beautifully. The shouting in the distance made me look up from my book to the two boys.

Clay was taller, always has been, and he was chasing Nick. Nick's hair was long and in a low pony I had done for him. Something inside me burned with joy at the sight of his smile. It felt dizzying.

Just then Nick noticed me. He began to beeline toward me. A cheeky grin covered his face.
"George...George..."
I warned already scrambling to get up.
Clay and Nick were going to crash into us!
George looked up.
"Aaaahh! Guys wait!"

But it was too late. Nick rammed into me. Clay stumbled and knocked George. Nick rolled us over till he sat up and crushed me into a hug.
"N-Nick...what...are you...doing..."
I tried to talk without him squishing my lungs.

"Wait wait!"
He let me go and scrambled to the floor. He was down on one knee. He yanked a daisy out of the ground.
I laughed at him.
"Will you marry me?"
He said. I shook my head and pulled him back to his feet.

"You crazy panda. Maybe if you grow a few inches."
I said and started laughing. His hazel eyes grew angry and he huffed.
"You calling me short?!"

We were only six years old.

The jangle of keys woke me from my dream. A smiling mask looked down on me, like a haunting of the time passed from our childhood.
"Come Y/N. We shouldn't treat an old friend like a prisoner."
"Glad to see you're still smiling Clay."