Chapter 16: Crisis

Liana's at the Talon studying with Chloe and they see Clark. Chloe says, "Hey, Clark. Knock much?" Liana says, "You're too late. I turned off the cappuccino machine an hour ago."

The next day, Liana's with Clark, Pete, and the Sheriff, listening to the phone call Clark heard last night of her

The next day, Liana's with Clark, Pete, and the Sheriff, listening to the phone call Clark heard last night of her. Liana hears herself say, "Please, help me!" Clark says, "Liana? Liana!" Pete stops it and says, "The call came from a blocked ID." The sheriff says, "Sounds like your voice, Ms. Lang." Liana says, "I know, but it can't be." Clark says, "We think it's some sort of a prank, sheriff." The Sheriff says, "You know, usually these situations originate a little closer to home than you'd expect. Any reason you might wanna goose these boys with a little prank call, Ms. Lang." Clark says, "Liana didn't have anything to do with this." The Sheriff says, "You know, unless Ms. Lang has grown several inches and developed an affinity for plaid this would be a good time for you to pipe down. You know, I supposed, someone could be imitating you." Liana says, "Why would anyone  wanna do that?" The Sheriff says, "If I had the answer to half the whys in this town... I'd have a bestseller on my hands. I'll look into this. But you kids need to know prank calls aren't exactly a top priority, huh?" After the sheriff leaves, Clark asks Liana, "You, okay?" Liana says, "You know, if someone is doing this as a joke, they have a pretty sick sense of humor." Clark nods and says, "Don't worry. We'll figure out who did this." Later, they go to the Torch to see Chloe about the call. Chloe's on her computer and the recording is connected to the computer. Chloe says, "Connection's bad. We're missing pieces of the conversation. But the background noise is constant throughout. This recording wasn't piecemealed together. Here, "I'll play it again with the static as low as I can get it." Liana listens closely and says, "That sounds like rain." Clark says, "We haven't had a storm in months." Liana's voice on the recording says, "Clark, it's happening!" Liana says, "Why would I say that?" Clark says, "It's almost like you were expecting something." Liana on the recording says, "Clark! Please help me!" Clark then says, "Hey, Chloe, can I?" Chloe says, "Yeah." Then she gets up so Clark can sit. Clark says, "I think I heard something." Then they hear a male say, "You lied to me!" Liana says, "That's Adam, but I haven't spoken to him since he left." Chloe says, "Clark, how did you hear that?" Clark says, "Guess I missed too many Linkin Park concerts. Look, there's someone else here." Then they hear another male say, "And good. That makes the score 61 to 60, Vipers. Gunnerson now needs to miss the second shot to keep the Vipers hopes for an undefeated season alive." Chloe says, "Gunnerson? He was benched in the preseason. This-this has to be a recording of an old game." Clark says, "No, that can't be. This is the first year the Vipers have been undefeated. They're not even scheduled to play the Metros until tonight. And according to the weather service, a storm's on the way." Chloe says, "Well, if none of this has happened yet maybe the phone call hadn't either." Liana says, "You're saying the call came from the future?"