Chapter 4: Slumber

Liana goes to see Clark and says, "Missed you at school the last few days

Liana goes to see Clark and says, "Missed you at school the last few days." Clark says, "I haven't been feeling so good." Liana says, "To be honest, you look a little tired. Maybe you should get some sleep." Clark says, "No! I'll be fine." Liana softly says, "Okay. Well, I brought you your homework. Mr. Blair said that you could make up your history exam as long as you have a note from your parents." Liana hands him a folder with his homework and he smiles and says, "You're the best." Liana smiles and then Clark says, "Can I tell you something?" Liana says, "Sure." Clark says, "I had this dream and it's really freaking me out." Liana says, "What was it about?" Clark says, "A lot of things. This girl." Liana says, "Oh." Clark says, "No, Liana, it's not like that. She needed help." Liana smiles and says, "Let me guess. You had to save her." Clark says, "Except I couldn't. Her name's Sara, and she moved into your old house." Liana says, "When did you meet her?" Clark says, "That's the thing. I haven't. And how could I be dreaming about her?" Liana says, "Well, maybe if you walked me through the dream, we could figure it out together." Clark says, "You don't think I'm nuts?" Liana softly smiles and says, "Clark, I think you have a lot of issues, but I don't think you have lost your mind." Clark softly laughs and nods. Liana continues, "Okay, so where did you see her first?" Clark says, "Crater Lake. You were there." Liana says, "Really? What were we doing?" Clark says, "Nothing. It's really hazy." Liana says, "Okay. Well, I have a better idea. Why don't we go see Sara in person?" They go see Sara and find out that she's in a coma. Clark says, "Wow, she seemed so... Do the doctors think she'll come out it?" Mr. Conroy says, "Well, there's always hope." Liana says, "It must be really hard to see your daughter like this." Mr. Conroy says, "Oh, Sara's my niece. So, this is your old house, Liana." Liana smiles and nods. Mr. Conroy continues, "And you're the boy from next door." Clark says, "What exactly happened?" Liana says, "Clark." Mr. Conroy says, "It's okay. It's no secret. It was a car accident. Sara and her parents went off the Loeb Bridge on their way home from a soccer game. The paramedics say Sara was asleep which is probably why she survived." Liana says, "Sara's from Smallville?" Mr. Conroy says, "Grandville. Just over the county line." Clark says, "Lilacs. Those are Sara's favorite." Mr. Conroy says, "Yes. How did you know that?" Liana smiles and says, "They're my favorite too. It must be kismet, living in the same house." Clark says, "That's an interesting medal." Mr. Conroy says, "This? Well, it's just good old St. Christopher." Clark says, "The patron saint of travelers, right?" Mr. Conroy says, "Yes, yes, I say his prayer every night in hopes that Sara's journey will end and she'll come back to us. Look, I'm sorry. You'll have to excuse me. It's time for Sara's medication. Thank you for stopping by." Later, Liana and Clark are in his loft. Liana says, "I almost forgot why public records are public. They're incredibly boring." Clark says, "Not all of 'em. Take a look at this." Liana says, "Wow. Sara's parents were rich." Clark says, "When they died, she inherited everything. One guess who's in control of the money." Liana says, "Uncle Nicholas." Clark says, "As long as she stays in a coma, he controls the wealth." Liana says, "But he still hasn't done anything wrong. I mean, taking care of your niece and living a nice life isn't exactly a smoking gun." Clark says, "Then why is Sara so sacred of him? I just don't get it." Liana softly says, "Hey, you're tired." Clark says, "I'm afraid to close my eyes." Liana says, "I'll go put on another pot of coffee." As Liana leaves, Clark says, "You don't have to stay." Liana looks back at Clark and says, "I want to, Clark." Clark smiles at Liana and she smiles back and walks away.