Chapter 12: Hereafter

Since Liana does cross country and cheerleading, she practices for cheer and then she does cross country. As Liana is running with her teammates, she notices a boy running faster than her and her teammates. Mr. Altman says, "Good run everybody. Don't forget to stretch it out." Liana says, "Mr. Altman. I, uh, I wanted to come by. If there's anything I can do." Mr. Altman says, "There's nothing that any of us can do now. She really loved this time of year." Liana goes grab a towel to wipe her sweat off and looks to the boy she saw running past her and says, "You were really focused out there speaking as one of the dozens you passed." Liana says, "I'm Liana." Jordan says, "I'm Jordan Cross. I just started here a couple of days ago." They both grab the same cup of water and they both let go of it and it spills. Jordan says, "Sorry." Liana says, "No, it's okay. There's a lot more where that came from. Liana then watches Jordan walk away.

Later, Liana's at the hospital with Megan and then sees Clark and tell Megan, "Megan, could you go and ask the nurse if Mr

Later, Liana's at the hospital with Megan and then sees Clark and tell Megan, "Megan, could you go and ask the nurse if Mr. Altman's ready for visitors?" Liana walks over to Clark, and she says, "How's Mr. Altman?" Clark says, "Uh, he's pretty heavily sedated. They want to keep him here until they can do a full psych evaluation. I didn't know you and Megan knew Mr. Altman so well." Liana says, "It's, uh, really through his daughter. We were all in the cheerleading squad together back in junior high. Mr. Altman was never the same after she got hurt." Clark says, "I remember she was hit by a car." Liana says, "Yeah, walking home from our end-of-season party. The doctors said that there was no chance for recovery. But, um, but Mr. Altman kept hoping for a miracle." Clark says, "It sounds like that never came." Liana says, "He took her off life support last month." Liana says, "I wouldn't wish that decision on anyone. It's hard when you blame yourself for everything that happened." Liana slowly nods and softly says, "I'd better go." Liana then hears Megan say, "If I could change that night, I would. I don't even remember why Julia and I were fighting." Liana says, "Megan, don't do this." Megan sniffs and says, "Julia left that night because she was mad at me. If I had just stopped her." Liana says, "I wish I'd gone after her too, but... you know, neither of us could have known what was going to happen. You can't keep blaming yourself." Megan says, "I should've told him then." Liana says, "He's under sedation, I, uh... I'm not sure he's even hearing you. Come on. Let's go." Megan looks at her dad and says, "I'm so sorry." Liana looks back at Mr. Altman one last time before closing his door. Later, Liana's at the Talon closing up. Liana then hears Adam scream and hears a thud. Liana goes to check up on him and sees him having a nightmare and says, "Adam, are you alright? Adam, wake up." Adam then accidently kicks Liana in the stomach, and she falls into the nightstand and then he wakes up. Adam is panting and then sees Liana on the ground and says, "Liana. What happened? Are you okay?" Liana gets up and says, "I'm fine. You were having a king-sized nightmare." Adam gets up and says, "I guess." Adam goes to wash his face and Liana softly says, "Do you wanna talk about it?" Adam is still panting and says, "To be honest, no, not really. I'll put some clothes on. Clean up this mess."