Chapter 6: Relic

Liana goes to see her great uncle

Liana goes to see her great uncle. Liana says, "Louise McCallum... No one ever really said much about her. Just that we had a great-aunt who died young." Mr. McCallum says, "I'm guessing they never mentioned she had a husband." Liana says, "No, but I don't think you can blame them. You were convicted of her murder." Mr. McCallum says, "Yeah." Liana says, "If you we're so anxious to see me, why'd you wait all these years to write?" Mr. McCallum says, "Your Aunt Nell, she asked me not to." Liana says, "I don't mean to be rude, Mr. McCallum but... even if we did believe your story. I don't know what you want me and my sister to do." Mr. McCallum says, "I just need somebody in Louise's family to know I truly loved my wife and I'm not the man who killed her. It was 42 years ago, and I can still hear those shots. Sheriff Tate arrived... And he found me with the gun and Lousie dead in my arms. I swear to you that's what happened that night. And when I saw your picture in the paper, I couldn't get over how much you looked like Lousie. I thought, if you are anything like her, you'd be the one person who could understand." Liana softly says, "If you're saying you didn't kill her. Then who did?" Mr. McCallum says, "The man I saw leaving the barn. A drifter. He killed my Lousie." Liana looks at the man who killed her great-aunt and it looks exactly like Clark. Later, Liana goes to see Clark and shows him the drifter. Clark says, "What happened to this guy? This drifter?" Liana says, "They never caught him. Dexter said that people assumed that he made the story up so they could cover his tracks." Clark says, "But you believe him." Liana says, "Yes, I do. Also, why would he lie to me? It's not like he's gonna get the last 40 years of his life back." Clark says, "Liana, convicted murderers spend half their day trying to convince people they're innocent." Liana says, "Clark, that drawing looks exactly like you. So, unless Dexter could've predicted the future there's, there's a pretty good chance that drifter was real. It could have been your grandfather. Even your father." Clark says, "That's impossible." Liana says, "Why? You must've come from somewhere. It's not like you just feel out of the sky." Later, Liana's in Clark's loft and she turns to see Clark. Liana says, "Hey." Clark says, "Hi, Liana. Look, I'm really sorry about being so defensive this morning." Liana says, "You don't have to apologize. I kind of dumped a lot on you all at once." Clark says, "I guess, it's just when you're adopted you dream about where you came from and what your birth parents were like. The biggest nightmare is that they were criminals." Liana says, "With all the strange surprises I've had in my family I know it's not easy. There are only a few of Louise's things, but I think we'll be able to find something." They both go sit down and Liana opens the box. Clark goes through some pictures and Liana finds a love letter. Liana looks at Clark with a soft smile and says, "It's a love letter. Dexter must have written this. Wow, who knew he could be so..." Clark says, "Passionate?" Liana says, "Only an initial?" Liana finds a pearl necklace and turns to Clark and smiles, "Could you?" Liana moves her hair to the side and Clark places the necklace on her neck. Liana hears Clark gasp and Liana says, "Clark?" Clark gets up and says, "Liana, I don't think that love letter is from her husband. I think it's from the drifter. They were in love."