But the days at Cocoa & Dough calmed me down. The tradition of going to the café seemed to run in the family since Ben would take me too after long days at school. The two of us would just sit in the booths towards the back, do a little homework or just unwind, smells of pastries and sweets undoing all the tight ribbons of stress around our bodies so we could finally be free from their bonds.

I'd sink back into the deep chocolate leather booths, stare at the Parisian paintings on the wall, and marvel at the vintage decor. It relaxed me. The deep shades of the coffee beans in the glass jars along with the cinnamons and sugars, and the sound of them grinding up together just helped me relax. Especially since I could hear it all now. The dings of the oven, the oldies music the waitress would often play. Everything.

A waitress there would always greet us when we came in. She was older, like I said before. Not too old though. Her name was Elaine and was a diehard Beatles fan. She reminded me of Chelsea a lot. She just had this feel and look to her that just screamed home. Maybe it was the way she flashed you a big smile as she passed by your seat, or the way she called you 'Hun' or 'darlin'' as she filled your cup to the rim. Elaine was so down to earth. She was just downright sweet. I finally got to hear her voice a few weeks ago. It was nice. It warmed my heart.

"Well look who it is," she grinned from behind the counter she was wiping down earlier with a small towel. "Jane, is that you, darling?"

"It's me!" I gave her a cheerful smile. She was the only one to call me by my middle name. I didn't mind. I did mind when she darted her brown eyes towards Zayn, a sly grin on her face.

"Remember the last time you came and you giggled about how you were never gonna have a boyfriend?" She teased. "Your daddy better load his shotgun." She dusted off her apron. "Hi sweetie, I'm Elaine. I own this place with my husband."

"Nice to meet you." Zayn stuck out a hand for her to shake but Elaine was a hugger, immediately giving him one to his surprise.

"Sorry, sweetie, but I'm a hugger," she laughed a little, pulling away. "Why don't you two grab a booth and I'll get you something to eat, all right?"

"Sounds good. Thanks Elaine!" I started to follow Zayn to a booth but Elaine stopped me, leaning over the counter on her elbow.

"You be careful now, all right, hun?" Elaine lowly whispered.

"Fine. I will," I said just to get her off my back. "Thanks."

I wasn't surprised. Zayn did have a bad boy look with his tattoos and style. He was so sweet once you got to know him though.

First time Zayn and I met, Josh made it very clear that I wasn't to date him or any of the members of One Direction. Tours went along though and the boys bonded. Zayn and Josh were close and he was still dating Perrie at the time. Josh wasn't as tense. He seemed to trust the boy. But when he rudely said all those things in the article about me, I knew it took every fiber in Josh's body not to rip his head off. Now that I thought of it I don't think I ever did ask his opinion on the relationship.

Or Harry's who was trying to protect me the whole time.

Maybe Mum's.

"So how's school?" Zayn asked, snapping me out of my thoughts. I stirred the hot drink before me that Elaine dropped off earlier. It was my usual. The milk and sugar was blended in perfectly.

"It's s'alright." I shrugged a little. "Your life is more exciting. How's work and all?"

"It's s'alright." He mimicked me, as I rolled my eyes.

"Really, Zayn."

"It's good. Really. We were in the studio a couple days ago. Tour rehearsals are coming up. Maybe you can come to some sometime."