[Chapter 52: Midday Classes]

Start from the beginning

"At least I don't have to repeatedly reject multiple guys and feel bad about it...!"
"At least I have multiple guys to reject in the first place...!"
"Oh please, as if I'd even want that many guys to reject—"

"You two truly are hopeless..." Laura sighed with a facepalm - forcing you to both quit it and playfully call it even.

"Hey Rose, want to join us for lunch in the cafeteria today...?" You offered warmly, trying your best to be kind towards her. "Eating with us might be fun. Not to mention it would give us a break from Amber's continuously annoying and arrogant attitude."

"I will END you!" Amber huffed lightheartedly; elbowing you in the side whilst she purposely pushed past you. "You understand me!?"

"Oh, I understand you." You angelically spoke, shooting her a smirk of your own as you walked to the classroom's door with the others. "I understand you perfectly."

"As much as I'd love to hang out with you guys, I'll have to say No for today." Rose shyly declined, showing you all a remorseful smile before leaving your group of friends and the university grounds altogether.

"That's strange..." Laura contemplated curiously - staring after Rose and mulling over her fast rejection. "That's the fourth time she's said No, or had something else to do."

"What's so strange about that...?" You wondered, not understanding why Laura was so puzzled by Rose's actions. "Maybe she just doesn't feel like it..."

"Hmm, perhaps..." Laura thoughtfully mused, the four of you heading towards the cafeteria to get some food. "Rose just seems to be a little more stressed-out than usual, y'know...?"

"She does seem a tiny bit busier..." Cadence added uneasily, picking up a food-tray and heading over to the choice of meals.

"It's probably just family stuff, you guys." Amber casually dismissed, doing the same as Cadence and grabbing a tray. "She probably doesn't want us to pry."

"You're being unusually considerate..." You noted dryly, also taking a tray and moving over to the left. "You're usually the first person to interfere or try and find out what's going on."

"W...Well it's just...I don't really want a repeat of last time..." Stumbling over her words, Amber's proud personality faded; replaced by an oddly anxious one and causing an awkward atmosphere to develop instead.

"For God's sake, can't you just leave my other friends alone? Or do you always have to go poking your nose around in other people's business?"
"Hey! All she wanted to do was make sure you weren't dealing with something serious!"
"Poke my nose around in other people's business...?"

"Oh, I see...Well, don't worry." You kindly replied, sending Amber a comforting smile before you all got your food and sat down at your usual table. "Like I said, that was mostly my fault. My stress levels were no excuse to lash out at you guys. Besides, we're all friends aren't we...?"

"That's true. We are!" Cadence agreed with a sweet smile of her own, the tension between you all swiftly dying out and calming down. "Anyway, I think we've all grown since then."

"Exactly, so—"
"—Hey, (Y/n)!"
"—What's up?" Two voices called in unison; both of them ignoring and interrupting Laura as they carelessly approached your table.

"Uh, hey you guys." Laura muttered irritably, hiding her slight annoyance whilst she watched Billy and Stu take a seat either side of you.

"Oh, um, good afternoon you two." You pleasantly greeted, flashing them each a polite smile while you attempted to hide your previous shyness from earlier. "How were classes this morning...?"

"Oh, you know, same as usual." Stu answered with a nonchalant shrug, crossing his arms as he focused on talking to you rather than eating. "Tedious though tolerable."

"We were more worried about you though." Billy cut into the conversation with a concerned stare, his serious posture throwing you off and making you feel bashful. "So it was rather...difficult to concentrate."

"You were worried about me...?" You repeated hesitantly, confusion clouding your face and causing you to carefully put down your cutlery. "I don't understand...Why would you both be worried about me...? Is something wrong...? Did something else happen...?"

"The unwanted admirer. You still haven't caught them yet." Stu stated sternly, narrowing his eyes as you stiffened up in shock. "You or your roommates."