(Chapter-7) Just a nightmare?

Norah's pov

Several days passed by after that incident. Ryan was probably moving on and I was happy for him. I wanted everyone to forget about that night or at least not to mention about it. Everyone got busy with their studies as the finals were approaching. So, it was an easier process.

One thing definitely changed after that night- Troy and my friendship. We got even closer and honestly, he was the only close friend of mine.
He took the role that Alice had played in my primary school years. Although one part of me was afraid if he does something like Alice too, yet I was really happy to know that someone had my back now.

Days passed and our finals were finally over. I was busy planning a picnic with our classmates when suddenly, my phone rang. It was from an unknown number.

Me: Hello? Who is speaking? Do I know you?

Unknown person: I'm calling from the public hospital near the Central Hall. Are you Serena Johnson's acquaintance?

My thoughts were going wild. Why is my grandma in the hospital? She just said to me that she was going to the Central Hall. Did something...

I replied with a shaking voice: Yes, I'm her granddaughter. Why? What happened to her?

Unknown person: Well, I'm sorry to say but she's no more. She had a cardiac arrest while shopping in the mall and I was passing by her when this occurred. So, I brought her to the nearby hospital but the doctor said that it was too late. Your phone number was the first in her call log; so, not knowing what to do, I called you. Could you please hurry to the hospital and inform any elderly acquaintance of hers?

My heartbeat stopped at that moment. I couldn't believe my ears. I couldn't believe my existence. I couldn't believe anything.

Is God playing any game with me? Someone please tell me this is not the reality. Someone please tell me all these things that are happening to me is just a nightmare. Someone please wake me up from this nightmare. I don't want to dream this dream anymore. No, I can't take it.

My whole body was feeling numb. I stood there still, unable to move, unable to breathe.
For a moment I felt like I really shouldn't have born; like my mom said - I was really a curse.

I rushed to the hospital as soon as I came back to my senses. After a while, I was standing there, in front of the room where her corpse was kept. However, I couldn't enter the room. I didn't know what to do. I didn't have what it takes to see someone in that state.

I knew that I had to do something. I had to call my parents at least. But I didn't know how to call someone who has abandoned me.

Finally, I called them. That was all I could do. Then I sat there, in front of the room, lifeless, emotionless, like a doll. I wasn't even crying.

I don't have anyone left with me now. One by one, my loved ones are leaving me. I'm losing my capability to even think.

It's just a nightmare, isn't it?

_____