Chapter 5

Maise placed her hand over Annie's shoulder and took the cup from her. "I'll do it," she said, pouring the warm coffee up to the brim. The aroma of the coffee and the curls of the steam rising from the cup already elevated her mood.

Annie took a step back, her bandaged finger peeking out from under her clasped hands. "Ms. Swain is waiting in your office," she said, glancing at the hallway outside the massive white kitchen. "Would you have your breakfast later?"

Maise peered at her wristwatch. It was already 9:30 a.m. "Have you prepared the breakfast?"

Annie shook her head slightly. "It won't take too long, Mrs. Hayes."

"Don't," Maise replied, taking a sip of the coffee. The minute its rich creamy tasted touched her lips, she found herself melting into those brown hues. "I really don't have the time to eat today."

A pair of footsteps coming up the hallway were well spaced and fast. They announced their arrival before a dark-haired head poked around the corner. Wayne stood in his dress shirt and trouser, tie hanging loose around his neck but not one hair out of place. When his gaze caught Maise, "You were out last night," he said in a matter-of-fact voice.

Maise looked over her shoulder at Annie shuffling to the corner. "Go," she whispered, jerking her head towards the exit.

Annie's chaotic steps carried her towards the exit with a little frown, pulling her features down. Only to stop by Wayne and lower her head. "Good morning Mr. Hayes."

Wayne smiled. "Good morning Annie."

As she scurried out of the kitchen, Maise turned her gaze towards Wayne. "I was looking for your footage."

The words made his face light up like a Christmas tree. Rubbing his palms together, Wayne stepped inside the kitchen and leaned against the kitchen counter. "Why did you have to go?"

Maise gave a half shrug. "I don't trust anyone with this."

With a firm nod, Wayne asked, "Any luck?" His fingers extended towards the fruit basket resting on the kitchen counter, and he picked up the apple sitting on the top. Flipping it repeatedly, he took a large bite.

If Wayne ever looked at the opaque conditioner bottle in the corner of their bathroom shelf and dig in long enough, he might find a tiny plastic bag. In that bag he'd find his precious SD card. But Maise pressed her lips together and took another sip of the coffee. "I don't want to get your hopes up and then disappoint you." She raised her brows. "Are you sure the dashcam worked that day?"

Wayne poked his forehead with his index finger and stared at the polished marble floor. "You're making me doubt myself now."

Maise bit back the smile lurking behind her lips. "I'm just saying, if someone had it, wouldn't they have taken advantage of it by now?"

"Keep looking, just in case," Wayne replied as he pursed his lips.

Maise sighed as she checked her wristwatch again. Giving Wayne's hand a light squeeze, she said, "I've to go now."

Instead of letting her go, Wayne straightened up and snaked his arms around Maise's waist and locked her in his grip. "Before you run off, I need to tell you something," he said, holding her with one hand and using the other to lock his fingers with hers.

Maise focused on the way Wayne's lips curled up in a grin. It felt like he was trying to say more than what his words let on. Nonetheless, she wrapped her arms around his neck and asked, "What?"

"Do you remember what day is it today?"

She leaned back and turned her eyes towards the ceiling. "It's not your birthday or our anniversary." Truth be told, Maise had lost track of dates recently. Wasn't it November 5th? Or was it the 6th?