Chapter 1

An enemy does not plunge the dagger into your back. You don't embrace them close enough to offer that chance. Lessons like that are best learned fast. And Maise knew it was best to protect her walls. Especially built against the eyes she didn't expect to find. Not on the other side of the door in the almost empty and dull office. She certainly didn't expect her heart to hammer against her chest after 12 years since she last saw him in that dark high school uniform.

"You–" Maise whispered, clutching onto the doorknob, half ready to flee.

Ryan Price, the man Maise swore to hate for the rest of her life, stood stiffer than a log. His glistening eyes took her form in one quick sweep, brows raised as a grin spread on his face. "Maise Blackwell," Ryan said, shaking his head, "Who would've thought you'd walk into my office one day?"

Hand tightening around the doorknob, Maise spoke through her gritted teeth, "It's Hayes now." Against the wooden floor, her black heels clicked as she purposefully placed her left hand over her right, in front of her torso, and stepped in.

The shining diamond on her finger caught Ryan's attention. Watching the smile wither from his face was too gratifying. "You're married," he said in a matter-of-fact voice.

The words that pierced her heart 14 years ago didn't matter anymore. Even if they were the last words you'd want to hear from the boy you gave your heart to, it should be long enough to forget. But it had been 14 years, yet they still mattered. And while never even in her wildest imaginations did she think, Maise would prove him wrong this way, it was satisfying nonetheless.

Puffing her chest out, Maise raised a brow. "That comes as a surprise to you?"

"Not at all," Ryan replied, the corner of his lips tweaked up in what seemed like a well-rehearsed smile. "Not when the entire city knows."

"Of course," Maise replied, peering at her ring. His words did not surprise her either. For once, it painted a smile on her face. The city ought to know. After all, Sitciny was their city. "Wayne and my wedding did make the papers."

"For good reasons," Ryan replied, his jaw tightened. "What brings you here, Mrs. Hayes?"

With a sharp jab in her heart, Maise felt the air leave her lungs. He was drawing a line. Her heart leapt as she found herself wanting to cross it. Shaking her head, her hands clutched onto her purse. "Can I talk to someone else in this firm?"

"You can talk to my receptionist," Ryan replied, gesturing towards the door of his office, "but if you're looking for an attorney, it would have to be me."

Inhaling sharply, Maise averted her gaze from Ryan's face. Though feeling his intense eyes watch her move made heat rise to her ears. Oddly enough, the chipping wall paint seemed more interesting.

A mirthless chuckle echoed in the almost empty office. "Are you here to check what else your husband can take away from me?" Ryan asked, stepping closer to Maise.

Scoffing, Maise rolled her eyes. As if she was ever interested in Wayne's games. "I don't think you have anything other than your neck to offer," she replied, locking her gaze with his. Her first mistake. Gulping in, she took a step forward and craned her neck. "It's a pity everything here looks like it's about to crumble." Then her lips stretched in a smile. "You shouldn't have tried to defame my husband, you bit off more than you could chew."

"It's only defamation because I lost the case."

"Something tells me you're not a good enough attorney."

Ryan snapped his lips shut in a hard line. "I wouldn't be so confident, Mrs. Hayes."

"Why is that?"

"Your husband will soon have more enemies than he can pay off–" he replied, as the muscles in his jaw bunched, "–more than he can vanish. Arrogance will bite him to shreds."