The Cattle Drive |part 1|

Start from the beginning

"Maybe we should go inside."

Ben suddenly releases himself from me and starts to run up the slick stairs, "Way ahead of you!" He shouts before turning a corner. Hey, at least I can feel my blood circulating now!

"Hurry, hurry, hurry!"
"Aw man!"
"Oh, it's coming down fast."
"Well, that was a waste of time." They start to say in sync, trying their best to stay dry.

I'm left behind with Darius and watch as he lays there a bit, before scoffing, "Thanks, Brooklynn." he mutters.

I notice his down attitude and start to head towards him. I stick my hands in my pockets and shift awkwardly.

"Hey, dude. If you don't mind, I'd like to listen to the rest of your Dino story. It seemed pretty sick before, y'know, those guys interrupted the mood." I smile at him and he looks up at me before lifting himself from from the bench.

His frown makes a complete 180 as he grins at me. "Alright!" he says and flips his hood up, walking up the stairs as thunder booms behind him.

I follow him and pat his shoulder before looking back. Yasmina is still standing by the railing, trying to get, what seemed to be a notebook, out of the rain.

"Shouldn't you come inside? Don't want you getting sick out here when you're supposed to be on vacation!" I shout to her.

She looks up at me, startled I'm still nearby, and clutches her notebook to her chest.

"Oh, um, thanks." She looks around awkwardly and walks past me into the building. I shrug and follow her in, glad to be out of the rain.

Walking in, all I can hear is Ben complaining about Darius' story and stating that he wasn't scared.
'Lie'.
And Sir 5-head was complaining how uncool it was.
'Another lie'.

These boys need to get it together.

I walk over to the food station, looking over the options of cereals, listing them in my head.
'Raisin Brand? Seriously? Is someone's grandma around or...?' I think to myself.

I suddenly hear a loud, "You need a friend!" with a yelp following after. I spin around and see Sammy talking with Yasmina. Or, Sammy talking to Yasmina, while she is trying to understand if an actual language is being spoken.

Yaz spins around, looking for some type of help. Her eyes land on me and she motions to Sammy who was rambling beside her. I gave Yasmina a shrug, followed by a weary thumbs up. I really didn't know any other way of helping her in the moment.

She just has to figure it out by herself. Tough luck.

She spins back around, staring at Sammy as she's talking.

I look towards the others and can't really hear their conversation. I roll my eyes and watch as That One Guy and Darius are arguing about something while Pinky was trying to dry off her phone. Ben was just kind of watching, putting on hand sanitizer.

I start to head back to the bunks, exhausted from the day. Everyone here is crazy, I'm telling you!

———————

"Yes!" Darius pumps his fist into the air, staring at this dinosaur in front of us.

"We get to drive gyrospheres? Cool!"

"Saddle up, dudes and dudettes. We're going on a cattle drive, but with dinosaurs! It's a Dino-drive!" Dave announces, throwing himself around. This guy is fun.

I look around at these so called, 'gyrospheres'. I notice one has 3 seats instead of 2 like the others. I bet it's because we're un-even.

"And just to be clear, all these dinosaurs are herbivores, right?" Ben asks, a little shaken up being so close to one.