Chapter 3

After that they called an annoyed Bat back. A scowling man stood in a cape crossing his arms.

"We did not shut off communications with you."

Bat stopped scowling. He still looked serious but not as a severe scowl. "Then what interrupted your communications."

"Our bosses," Annabeth said.

Bat raised an eyebrow. "Are they here?"

"No, still over there. They were able to establish a poor connection because of their previous connection with the world."

"I am assuming that your conversation did not go well," Batman said. He looked over the kids solemn faces.

Annabeth shook her head. "It did not circumvent the results we wanted."

"What happened?"

"We can't go home until we do what they want," Percy grumbled.

Batman tuned and looked at Annabeth carefully. "Does this mean we are on opposing sides?"

Annabeth hit Percy on the head. "No, it means that we can't go home early. They didn't ask us to kill anybody if that's what you are thinking."

"Dude this is no fair! Why don't they ever give us a break!"

Batman observed. Annabeth scowled. "This is clearly not a good time. Emotions are running high."

"Actually I think this is the perfect time," Batman said. "As I was saying before I need you to come in..."

"Busy," Clarisse interrupted.

Annabeth looked over at Clarisse apologetically. "Leo you stay back at base and help gather information with Percy and Nico. You two know what you have to do. Clarisse, Piper, and I will be meeting up with Batman. Does that work for you,". Annabeth said.

"No, all of you must be..."

"Like Clarisse said they have things to do. The sooner we get done with this the sooner we can get home."

"I told you I can give you a way..."

"We don't want to die," Leo said.

Batman didn't show alarm except for a slight twitch in his eyes.

"They would kill you," Batman asked. It was a calm but dangerous voice. To threaten children was unspeakable. Just who were their bosses.

"I am pretty sure my dad won't kill me. My uncle might try to kill me. He has tried by sending things after me when I was twelve," Percy said, without thinking.

"Parents," Batman said. So their bosses were their parents. And they tried to kill their own family members. Sounds like organized crime. Except they were advanced if they could have outreach to this planet. He didn't know who they were dealing with.

Batman had been studying them carefully. Percy seemed like an idiot, but you can tell he was smart by the way he assessed the room. He looked for exits and helped Annabeth in silent ways. While it looked like those two were arguing they were in perfect synch with each other. Partners.

Annabeth was the smart one and was good at dealing with negotiation. He was going to have a hard time getting anything out of her.

The elf kid was always twitching with his tool belt. When they were in conversation he was fiddling with something.

The dark and brooding boy that didn't say much was a mystery. He was remind of his own kids.

Then there was the girl who can charm people. He didn't know what to make of her either.

Clarisse reminded Batman of the archer Artemis. She struck him as brute force.

"Yes our bosses are our parents. Don't misunderstand our relationship with our parents. We rarely see them."

"Meet me at 4832 Julius Street," Batman said.

"What as in Julius Ceaser? We aren't going to get stabbed in the back are we," Percy asked.

Annabeth regretted telling Percy about Julius being stabbed in the back by his best friend in this moment.

Batman smirked.

They cut off connection.

"Well that went well," Percy said.

"Did it go well? Or did we mess up and give lots of information."

"I thought we were going to give that information out anyway."

"Not now," Annabeth said.

"Remember what happened last time we refused to give information."

"Yes, but do we want them to control the situation."

"No."

"Well if we give up information we give up control."

Percy nodded.  "Okay," Percy said. 

"So we will meet Batman at that location.  Percy you have to go into the sea.  You will probably run into Aquaman.  There should be a trident and it will recognize you as son of Poseidon."

Annabeth turned to Nico.  Nico held out a hand.  "Mine is a hundred times harder cause I have to steal a portal.  I need to figure out how to move a portal, all why sneaking it out of a assassin compound."

"That's why you can't do anything yet except maybe shadow travel, but the assassin compound isn't near Gotham."

Nico nodded and sighed frustrated.  "They should have just done this themselves."

They all sighed sinking into the moment of frustration before they launched into an unknown place.   The world was a scary place full of twists and turns.  You never know what building you are going to end up staring up at.  They just had to keep living for the simple moments like sharing a pizza around a table.  Life is a constant struggle with happiness in between.