Chapter 12: Easy

Elise's POV:

My heart was hammering against my chest, my whole body didn't want to move any closer. It didn't want to lift my hand to the door knob and open it. My body refused. Shifting between foot to foot, my body begins to do my will.

Slowly, I lift my hand up to the knob, very carefully I open the door to the library. Studying with Tom surely couldn't be as bad as I vision it to be.

The silence in the library was deafening, it's quietness echoing inside of my head. I begin to walk down to where I was going to meet Tom. Our study was meant to start at 5. Luckily, I had arrived a few minutes earlier.

I take a deep breath in and turn the corner. No one was here. My mouth suddenly became dry, something was wrong. Just as I was beginning to question his presence something tapped my shoulder.

My whole body jolted to face my attacker. "Jumpy are we? If I didn't think any better I would assume you were hiding something. A guilty conscious?" The voice was Tom. My attacker. "Hardly. You should know better than to sneak up on a lady" I growl as I unpack my stuff.

"Let me know when you see one" just as I was about to fire an insult my mouth was unable to move. There, arms folded and leaning against the table was Tom smirking at me. He was a thing of beauty. "Cat got your tongue Hawthorn?"

"Just a snake" I mumble to myself. I sit down in the seat next to Tom. "Right let's begin"

*************

The hour passes quickly, far too quickly. Just as I was packing up I turn to Tom, who is standing there, staring at me. "Riddle that was way too easy"

"I didn't doubt it would be for you Hawthorn as it wasn't hard for me either. We are bright people Hawthorn. Of course it was easy for us" I stare at him. Did he just compliment me?

"Did you just-" I begin but was interrupted by Tom "don't mention it. Hardly a compliment, more of a statement" a sudden wave of heat hits my cheeks. This was odd. Just as I open my mouth Tom disappears. Like a ghost.

Something is different

Something has changed