Chapter 3: Lessons

Elise's POV:

I awoke bright and early. It was only 5:45 am but I still felt as if I slept in. Rather briskly, I jump out of bed and walk into the bathroom.

After brushing my teeth I decide a simple look will do just fine. Brushing my long brown wavy hair and applying mascara with a hint of transparent lip gloss, I'm done.

Walking out of the bathroom I pull on my uniform and robes. Just as I finish tying my shoelaces I hear someone leave the boys area.

Curiosity took control of my mind and rather sneakily I walk down the stairs to the common room.

There sitting on one of the sofas is Tom Riddle reading a book.

Play it cool Hawthorn.

Gliding into the room as elegantly as possible, I start to walk to the door.

"Where are you off to Hawthorn?" Tom's rather bored tone stops my dead in my tracks. Shit.

"Out Riddle, what's it to you" I snap, turning on my heel and crossing my arms in front of my chest. "I want to know" he answers again in his bored emotionless tone.

"What are you reading Riddle" I ask, taking a seat opposite him. "A book Hawthorn, what's it to you" he snaps mimicking me, I can't help but see a ghost of a smile on his beautiful lips.

"Well I'm bored. So bye" I stand abruptly, causing Riddle to jump. "Awe Riddle, you seem very..on edge. If I didn't know any better I would think you were hiding something" I give him a small smile before leaving the common room.

**********

I didn't exactly get far. I managed to get lost but navigate myself to the Great Hall just in time for Breakfast.

I instantly see Cassy and take a seat next to her. "Morning" I smile at her. She gratefully returns the gesture "Good morning darling Elise" we continue our breakfast with only small talk.

I had a bowl of fruit, Cassy had toast. "Oh I forgot to introduce you to Jake" she speaks loudly, not before grabbing my arm and tugging me to the Gryffindor table. "JAKE" she screams, earning an irritated stare from most of them. A boy with bleach blonde hair and blue eyes gets up and walks towards us. He was a Slytherin but was talking to his brother, Jamie, who I recognise from walking through the hallways.

"Elise this is Jake Ford, Jake this is Elise Hawthorn" we shake hands. "So you are the one all the guys are talking about" he says, his Irish accent very apparent. "What?" I cock an eyebrow up, rather astonished and confused that people are talking about me.

"You know...beautiful new transfer, smart and damn" his eyes traveled up and down my body.

"Jake what are we doing for the homework?" Cassy asked. They soon went into their own world of homework.

I suddenly felt someone's eyes on me, I turn around to see if anyone was staring at me. My eyes meet almost black ones, Tom. We stare at each other for a few more seconds before peeling our gazes away.

"YO ELISE LETS GO" Cassy grabs me once again and tugs me to the Slytherin table. "Miss Hawthorn?" A man with an over large belly speaks to me. "Yes?" I ask politely.

"I am Professor Slughorn. I teach potions"

"Pleasure to meet you sir"

"Have you had any practice with potions Miss Hawthorn?" Slughorn as persistent. "Indeed I have Sir. My Father's best friend was a potions master at Durmstrang. He taught me everything he knows"

"EXCELLENT. Hopefully you are as smart as our Tom" he gives me a full beam of a smile and hands me my timetable.

I scan over it not sure what to make of these lessons. "Cassy have we got the same?"

She looks over at mine and beams. "Yeah we do. Have you ever done Home Economics?" I furiously shake my head. "Well you are in for a treat" she giggles.

******************

Potions. Potions was my fourth lesson before Lunch. I had luckily chosen to sit at the front so I can take notes as Slughorn speaks.

"Today we will be making a Love Potion. Then tomorrow the antidote. Can anyone tell what a love potion does?" Several people put their hands up. Slughorn picks a Gryffindor . "It causes the drinker to fall in love with the person who creates the potion"

Slughorn was about to give a house point before I interrupt. "That is incorrect. It does not create love but obsession. Infatuation. Any child conceived under a love potion is incapable of love. It isn't love. Love does not exist. However for the potion to fully work you must apply the potion frequently for the infatuation to continue" Slughorn smiles. A very bright and wide smile. "30 points to Slytherin for excellent an description"

I smirk as some Gryffindor's groan and send deathly glares at me. "What is in a love potion?" I decided against putting my hand up. "Tom m'boy lets see if you can redeem your name in potions" Slughorn's eyes are bright, bursting with admiration.

Tom clears his throat and begins to speak "the love potion ingredients include Ashwinder eggs, rose thorns, peppermint and powered moonstone. "
Tom looks around at me, looking rather smug.

"Well done 30 points to Slytherin. Who can tell me the side effects of the potion" my hand shoots up. "Miss Hawthorn"

"Sir, the potion does not exactly have side effects but mere effects after the potion wears off the drinker remembers being under potion's influence and is typically left embarassed because of the potent and obvious effects of the potion on the drinker." Tom gazes at me and I return the smug look.

"EXCELLENT. Excellent. 20 points to Slytherin" Slughorn seems...dazzled.

"Now today we will be brewing a love potion and then tomorrow we will be making the antidote. So in pairs I have prepared we have, Cassy Nova with Jake Ford, Abraxas Malfoy with Victoria Parkinson and Tom Riddle with the lovely Elise Hawthorn"

I freeze. My body decides to tense at his name. WHY HIM. I inwardly yell at Slughorn.

Slowly, I walk over to Tom. "For once stop being so pathetic and go get the ingredients" he orderly snaps. I felt something snap, folding my arms and squaring my shoulders I reply "You know what no" he turns and glares at me. "NO?" He almost shouts."yes NO. Now I'm here, you will be hearing that word a lot more"

Tom is fuming at me, his eyes blazing. "Tom m'boy where are your ingredients" Slughorn's very bright annoying voice is behind Tom. He quickly changes his expression to a nice angel. "I will go get it sir"

As the lesson progressed me and Tom were getting closer and closer to one of us lashing out. "You stupid girl" he snaps. "ME?! How dare you, you filthy half blood" I growl.

"YOU ARE SUCH A KISS ASS, you stupid pathetic-" before anything could be said the classroom door swings open. Dippet walks in with a disapproving look.

"Miss Hawthorn, I am here to remind you of our...little chat" he seems old and wise. Our chat was nothing more than him telling me to stay calm so my magic didn't spike.

"I remember it very well Sir"

"Then you know better than to argue with Mr Riddle don't you" I felt like I was being scolded, I was being treated like a 6 year old.

"But he...yes sir" I hold my head in shame. "Very well, sorry to intrude Slughorn. But make sure SHE doesn't get too stressed or angry. God forbid what would happen" Dippet leaves as her had come. Quickly and quietly.

"Riddle and Hawthorn." He peers over the potion pot. "The only pair to get an 'O'"

The bell rings and I quickly pack up. Rather quickly I rush out the door and exhale the breathe I didn't know I was holding in.

Before I could move, I was roughly pushed against the wall. "If you EVER talk to me like that again, I will kill you" Riddle snarls into my ear. He drops me to my feet and runs off.

"Jesus Elise you okay?" Cassy is at my side. Nodding, I just hug her. "Stay away from Riddle, even if he is adorable. He is a fucktard" I giggle at her comment.

But something dark was brewing. I could see it in his eyes.