"He's not gone forever," she starts, giving Louis a stare when the boy rolls his eyes in response, "I know the feeling. He didn't abandon you."

"You said the same thing about d-"

"Louis William," she cuts her son off before he can finish his sentence, "never compare Harry to that excuse of a man. He's young. You'll understand it when you're legal and free. You'll go places and never want to come home, but there will always be something tugging at you to come back." 

Louis knew what she meant. He knew that she knew. Louis felt guilty about not telling those closest to him about his beloved Harry, but there was no one he felt horrible about not telling other than his mother.

He wasn't scared. His mother was clearly fine with it, but telling his mom he was in love with his best friend, meant coming out to his mom. He knows she knew that part too, she let him play with his makeup and wear her dresses as a child for the love of god. But no matter the circumstance, the idea of coming out is fucking terrifying.

"I miss him." he sniffles, deciding he'll just focus this more on him than them.

"He'll be back, let him enjoy this. If he comes back and knows you just sulked in bed, barely ate or lost focus in school, he'll regret his decision," she paused and looked at him, "he does so much for you, Lou. Don't let him regret doing something for himself."

Maybe she had some points. This wasn't going to stop him from sulking, he was still going to do that. But maybe he would just pretend like he hadn't been sulking for three months whenever Harry decided to return.

Two more weeks came and went. Three months and fourteen days full of things he wanted to run home and tell Harry. So many weekends without a movie and ice creams, so many sleepover-less nights. So many nights where the stars were out and Louis laid alone to stargaze. Too many days gone without so much as a forehead kiss. 

The weather was nice. Today was one of those rare days where the weather didn't mirror what Louis had felt. 

He currently found himself in the garden with his mom, who had physically dragged him out of bed because she refused to let him spend yet another weekend sad in his room. 

"Mom," he dragged out, "I don't like gardening, dirt makes me feel yucky."

"If I let you stop, are you going to go right back to sulking?" she stood up and put her hands on her hips. 

Louis looked at her, and hesitated before giving her a slight, "No."

"That's what I thought." she snorts before going back to work.

There weren't too many things that Louis didn't enjoy, but it's becoming very clear that gardening is not one of them. 

Things in Louis' head had been a little different since that short conversation. Stupid thoughts, wondering why his dad didn't have anything to bring him back home. If he truly was the one thing keeping Harry home and if that was somehow holding the older boy back. Thoughts like that obviously lead Louis' imagination to a place where he imagined a much happier, more free Harry on this trip. 

Maybe this trip was a good thing for Harry. 

He lost himself somewhere in those thoughts. So much that he didn't even hear Harry's car pull up and into the driveway, it's not like Harry came up to him anyways. He wasn't pulled from his thoughts until the sun went away, and he felt the first few drops on his hands. He doesn't know when the sun left,  nor did he know how long Harry had been there. 

In reality, the sun had been gone for twenty minutes, and Harry had been there for about five of those minutes. The only reason Harry didn't run over to his boy was because Louis' mom walked out and ran over to hug him before he had the chance to get to Louis. 

Louis did get his movie hug though. The kind where one person picks the other up, holds them tight and throws a little spin in, all while whispering how much they were missed into their ear. Upon carefully putting Louis back on solid ground, he cupped his cheeks and once again told the boy how he missed him. 

But there was something off. Those eyes were more gray than green, and the dimples didn't follow the smile. There was no way he was commenting on it right now, not when all that mattered was being back in Harry's arms. 

*********

oOoOoOoOoOo a spicy plot twist to make the fic les boring me thinks.

hope you enjoyed, no clue where this came from but im living for it rn.

all the love <3