CHAPTER 30

| and i know when i'm with you, or maybe when you're with me, even if i don't feel a thing, for a second i feel complete.

MARCH 16TH, 2008 SAW A LONELY LOUIS LAYING IN in his moms bed, snuggled under the blanket, watching the raindrops fall down the window.

Florida's weather was never promising. It could change in the blink of an eye, and the only consistent weather was rain. As shitty as that sounds, more than half of the time, you could always count on the weather to match whatever emotion you were feeling. 

Three months. Harry had been gone for three months. Backpacking through a foreign county always sounds like fun, except for when you're best friend (who is also the person you're in love with) goes without you. 

He didn't call or write, he just told Louis he was going with his friends two weeks in advance, and within the blink of an eye, he was gone. 

Now, Louis did have friends, yes. The thing about being so gone for a person that you spend all your time with, and miss when you're away from them for more than three days, is that hanging with other people doesn't feel the same. The feeling of feeling guilty, because all your mind is letting you do, is wish it was your person, and not your random friend, is worse than missing your person. 

Needless to say, Louis gave up on hanging out with friends as a distraction after a solid two tries within the first two weeks of Harry's departure.

Louis was aware that he couldn't tag along because he was seventeen, still in high school, and didn't have money or a passport, so he isn't petty that Harry didn't drag him along. But Harry seemingly wasn't even remotely trying to reach out. Nor did he tell Louis he was going to be gone for three fucking months.

He knew Harry was uncertain of how long this trip was going to last. Who the hell just automatically assumes someone is going to be gone for three months. It also wouldn't be as annoying if it weren't spring break.

He's two days in to spring break, and instead of going to parties with his friends, he's spent two days laying in bed, watching Friends reruns (at least friends are involved somehow). His mom told him to stop being a baby, told him to get out of bed. Being a baby was purposefully out of his control, but he did get out of bed; albeit only long enough to move from his bed to his mothers. 

"Louis, when I said you needed to get out of bed, this isn't what I meant." his mom walked in the room, a soft sigh leaving her lips and she sat at the foot of the bed.

"Technically, you told me I needed to get out of my bed," Louis mumbles, turning over to face her, "you never mentioned anything about your bed." there's a tiny smile trying to escape in the corner of his lips.

It's quiet for a little bit, Louis' mom gives him a tiny chuckle regarding his bed comment, but no other words are spoken between the two. His mom has never been one to push, he loves her for that. She's never once questioned his relationship with Harry. Never asked him if they're a little closer than she thinks. Never commented on the snuggles she pretends she doesn't see during movie nights in the living room. Has never spoken a word when she walks in on them cuddling, or breaking apart from a kiss. The way Louis draws an 'H' on his wrist when he's feeling down. 

But she knows. She's more than aware of the relationship her son has with his best friend. There's always been a small part of her that wanted to comment, Harry isn't anywhere near a stranger, but he is older than her precious son. She knows her boy isn't an idiot, and wouldn't do anything too dumb, but that doesn't stop the motherly urge to know. One day, Louis will be ready to tell her, and she'll be there to listen.