4| Job

[edited]

2 weeks later

2 weeks later

My face is slightly covered by my blanket as I lay face down. My eyes are still closed.

I'm too tired to even move.

My side is better; the bruises are gone. But I went to the doctor a few days after I got home, and I did indeed have a broken rib. The doctor said it should only take six weeks to heal.

I hear my bedroom door slowly crack open. A hear heavy little footstep hit that wooden floor. And soon after I could feel my bed indent next to me.

"Auntie?" Max whispers. I feel him move closer, hovering over my body. "Auntie, I'm hungry." Fucking damnit. "Hmm?" I hum.

"I'm hungry, auntie; can you get me something to eat?" Max asks. Sighing heavily, I go to get up, only to be stopped by Max jumping onto my back.

Jesus Christ, am I not fast enough for you, goddamn?

"Max?" I hear him giggle. "Yes?" His voice only holds innocence.

***

"Kate!" I shout, and I hear her call back from her room. I make my way to her room, and upon entering, I see Kate putting Max to bed.

"I've got work." I whisper. Kate points to the door.
We both leave the room. "You want me to drive you."

I would, but then we have to take Max; she just put him to bed. I shake my head. "No, I'll be fine."

Kate sighs. "Are you sure? What if something happens?"

After Mom died, Kate stepped up, trying to be a great sister.

After the car accident, I was never the same. It was just me and my mom; we were going to the store to get Kate a birthday gift.

Kate stepped up not only try to be a mom figure, She tried to protect me from our dad and I tried to do the same for her.

"Nothing's going to happen; I'll be fine. Love you, Kate." I reassure her that I'll be fine.

***

"Nevaeh." My boss sings out. I huff, already knowing what's about to come out of his mouth. "We need you to stay late. We have an important event happening tonight, and you are the only bartender." I clench my jaw.

Bullshit, we have Jackie, but you're fucking her and don't make her work. "Fine." Jerry pats me on the shoulder.

Don't fucking touch me. I wanted to say.

"Great, we love to hear that right answer. Don't we?" He gives me a fake smile.

After an hour of making creeps their drinks Maggie, one of my coworkers, stepped off the stage.

"Favorite?" I asked as she took a seat at the bar.
She nods, resting her head in her hands. Her long, dark red hair in her face.

"You ok?" I start making her drink. She shakes her head.