Chapter 55: My First Job Back & A Match Maker's Smile

My First Job Back and A Match Maker's Smile

I blinked open my eyes and almost hissed when morning light hit them. I yawned and I tried to stretch but something stopped me. A heavy weight was holding my arms down. I lifted the covers and almost died. Natsu's arm was wrapped around me and his cheek was lying on my shoulder. His hand was laying on top of my stomach. My heart went into heart attack territory.

I didn't move. I was pretty sure I was paralyzed. However, I find myself not wanting to move. For one thing, I didn't want to move, and wake him up...I didn't have the heart. The other thing, I liked being in his arms. So, I just laid there staring up at the ceiling. I was about to close my eyes when Natsu shifted.

His arm tightened around me and his legs intertwined with mine. My heart was beating so erratically in my chest that it hurt. My breathing hitched and electricity shot through me. I slowly turned my head towards him and stopped. I hadn't realized how close we were. Our lips were only a few inches apart. Only a breath away from touching. I blinked and my eyes roamed his face.

He looked so cute and boyish with his face so relaxed. I breathed deeply and slowly let it out. What was I doing? Before I could stop myself I brought up my free hand and very lightly ran my fingers through his hair. He didn't move. Becoming more brave I slowly ran my fingers down his cheek. Natsu shifted his face a little to the right but his eyes remained closed.

I then cupped his cheek as lightly as I could to try and not wake him. I smiled and closed my eyes for a moment. I wonder what it would be like... I thought, If I told you. I opened my eyes and stared down at him. Oh, Natsu, if onlyI could. After a moment, I let go and as easily as I could I detangled myself from him.

I got out of the bed and turned around. Natsu was still sleeping peacefully. I smiled despite myself, what was I going to do with him? I stretched my arms over my head and tip toed to my closet door.

I grabbed some clothes and went into the bathroom to get dressed. As I was getting dressed, I stopped, and looked in the mirror. The bandage that Wendy had put on my cheek was still on. With a breath I slowly peeled it off. I turned my head to the left to see how bad it was.

I was shocked to see that my skin didn't have a mark on it. Wendy must have worked hard...thank you so much, Wendy. When I arrived at the Guild I was going to thank her again.

Now, it was time to look at my stomach. I reached for my shirt and yanked it over my head. I closed my eyes for a moment and looked.

Wendy wasn't able to save my stomach.

I had three more scars crisscrossing over my stomach. I sighed as I stared at them. All three were wicked looking and red. I knew that they would fade in time, but they would always be there. Three more scars to add to my collection. I closed my eyes and traced the longest one that was in the center of my stomach with my finger.

I don't care about this scar...

I found myself smiling softly.

And you shouldn't care about yours either.

I looked at myself in the mirror and slowly turned around, until my back was facing the mirror fully. I took a deep breath and tilted my head to the side so I could see. Air whooshed out of my lungs, my heart dropped, and my eyes widened, as they always did when I saw my back.

Scars and raised flesh. Thats all you could really see. Scars, long, short, big, and small, raced up and down my back. One certain scar ran from the middle of my stomach, around my side, and all the way up my back, till it stopped at the back of my neck. That one had been a pretty nasty memory and an even nastier battle. It had been made my a long wicked sword edge.