Chapter 10: Seeing Red

Seeing Red

Once the wolf had run off I stood up from my crouched position and so did Natsu. "Natsu, please, stay here. I'll be right back." I whispered to him. Natsu shook his head, which made his spiky hair fly with the movement. Cute.

I smiled at him, he still wanted to help me fight that thing, even though he was badly injured. I couldn't let him though, he would just slow me down...and I had the sudden urge to...protect him? What a strange feeling to have. I looked at Natsu one last time and I jumped out the window.

I landed and quickly followed after the wolf. As I searched for the Shape Shifter I played with my necklace. I was so ready to use my daggers again. As my eyes darted around the area I heard a small noise from up ahead. I stopped and quickly looked for a place to hide.

My eyes landed on the roof of a house beside me. Perfect. Without a sound I pushed off the ground and grabbed hold of the bottom of the roof. I hauled myself up and laid down flat on my stomach. I looked down and saw the wolf walk below me. My hand went to my necklace and I smiled.

This would only take a moment.

I let out a breath and jumped down from the roof. I landed behind the wolf without a sound. As I was stalking toward it I gripped my necklace in my hand. I was about to unleash my daggers when suddenly the wolf halted.

I halted also and jumped back up on the roof and laid down on my stomach again. I couldn't risk being seen. I needed to catch the thing by surprise if I wished to beat it.

As I watched, the wolf lifted its black head, sniffed the air, and took off. I cocked my head at its retreating back. What the hell? I stood up and watched as it ran around the corner where I had just come from... My eyes widened and my heart clenched.

Natsu...

That thing was going after him.

I leaped off the roof and onto the next. I ran along the rooftops. I pushed my legs to go faster. Faster...faster...faster...!

Hold on Natsu. Hold on! I let out a growl as I jumped off and onto another roof. I was still running when I saw flames shoot up from somewhere up ahead.

Natsu.

I ran harder and leaped off another roof. There was a shout and more flames went up. Breathing hard I skidded to a halt on the roof and looked down.

Below me Natsu was fighting with the Shape Shifter...only this time the Shape Shifter was no longer a wolf. It was a white tiger with cold blue eyes. It started to circle Natsu and he didn't take his eyes off the beast.

Without so much as a warning it attacked. Natsu leaped out of the way and did a somersault. He landed on his hand and brought up his flaming foot. It was the same move that he had used against me. Only this time it was deadlier. It nailed the tiger in its face and its head cracked to the right.

Natsu pushed off the ground with his hand and landed on his feet. The boy was agile. But even from here I could see the pain in his eyes. The wound to his side was slowing him down.

The tiger took a swipe at him with its huge paw. Its claws gleamed in the afternoon light. Natsu leaned back to escape the dagger sharp claws. His scarf fluttered in front of him. I saw it. He saw it. The tiger saw it.

Before I could even move an inch the tiger's head shot forward. Its mighty jaws snapped around the scarf and yanked. With a gagging sound Natsu fell forward.

Right in striking distance.

It all seemed to happen in slow motion. I let out a small breath and jumped from the roof. The tiger opened its mouth. I hit the ground. Natsu set his fists on fire. He wasn't going to make it. I took a running step forward. The tiger's fangs gleamed. Natsu raised his fist.

I wasn't going to make it.
The tiger's soulless blue eyes narrowed. I reached up and gripped my necklace. Natsu put his arm between his throat and the tiger's maw.

The tiger bit down.

No...!

Natsu gritted his teeth and looked into the tiger's eyes. My necklace started to glow blue. The tiger let out a rumbling growl and bit down harder. My heart clenched tighter when I saw pain overtake Natsu's face. He screamed out in pain. The tiger growled louder in triumph.

I saw red.