Chapter 12: I Was Lonely

I was Lonely

I awoke with a gasp. I shot up and a hand landed on my shoulder. I grabbed it and twisted it. I heard a shout and instantly reached for my dagger necklace. Only I was stopped when a cold hand grabbed my own. I blinked and looked up. A man stood before me with a pained smile on his face. I let out a breath and demanded to know who he was.

"We are all so happy that you are awake and well." The man said. My eyes never left the man even as I slowly let go of his arm. He brought up his hand and I tensed.

"Relax." He told me with a small smile as he rubbed his arm. "You've got quite a strong grip, young lady." I didn't say anything and I didn't relax. Instead I slowly got up out of the bed and stood up. I touched my side and kept my face perfectly blank when my side gave a sharp ache of pain.

"You know we found one of the Shape Shifter's claws in your side?" So, that's what I had felt. Oh, well, another scar to add to my collection. I stared at the man and asked again, "Who are you?"

He tsked, "How rude of me. I'm the mayor of this fine town. I'm also the one who sent your Guild the request for your help." I frowned at the man. "Where is the boy that I came here with?" Still with that bright smile on his face he pointed to a separate door. "He's in there. He's still asleep." Doesn't surprise me.

"We will be leaving now." I told him. I took a step toward the door and almost fell from the pain in my side. "Be careful, young lady!" The man came forward to help me but I growled out, "Don't touch me!" The man stopped and raised his hands up.

"Are you sure you two don't want to stay a while? It's the least we could do." I narrowed my eyes at the man. "We have food!"

I cocked my head to the side and looked at the man. "You keep saying 'we' but I don't see anyone else." The man lost his happy smile and narrowed his eyes at me.

"Your a quick one."

He began to reach for something and with an annoyed growl I called for my daggers. In a flash of blue light they landed in my hands. Without so much as blinking I threw one of my daggers and it sank into the man's shoulder. With a shriek of pain he fell back. I slowly stalked forward and stared down at him.

"Why?"

The man looked up at me and shook his head. I let out a growl of annoyance, "Why did you ask for our help when you were the one who called that Shape Shifter. You were the one to kill all of you're town's people." I made a disgusted noise. "I can still feel the Dark Magic that you used to summon the damned thing."

I bared my teeth at him. "The only thing I don't understand is why did you save us?" The man looked up from his bloody shoulder and smiled quite creepily.

"I was lonely."

I killed him with a slash of my dagger.

Author's Note: Arigato Nat Nat! You have no idea how much you support me and this story! 😉