Chapter 50: Lying To Stay Alive

Lying To Stay Alive

With a gasp I opened my eyes and shot up. My eyes darted around the room. Taking note of everything. Not leaving out a single detail. I was in a room with one door and no windows. I could already tell that the walls were Magic proof and was made out of a type of substance that I was unfamiliar with.

I focused on the door. It was also Magic proof and was made of the same unfamiliar substance as the walls. There was no way I could break through the door. I reached up and my fingers touched my bare neck.

My necklace was gone, which meant my daggers were gone. But I found myself not tied up and I was free to move around the small space. I slowly got up and grabbed my head when a huge throb of pain shot through my head. It was so intense that it nearly made me double over.

I leaned a hand against the wall and closed my eyes. I tried to think back to what had happened to me. I had been walking... Then I remembered something about Natsu. I thought I had heard him and I had turned around to see him...

That's when I was grabbed and...my hand flew to my neck. It was little, but I could feel a small bump on my neck. Someone had stuck a needle in me. That had been rude. Whatever had been in it knocked me out cold.

I had been taken.

Just then the door across from me creaked open. I looked over and I saw a man standing there. I stared at him as he walked in. The door closed behind him with a loud groan.

"You were out longer than we thought you would be." Was the first thing the man said. I blinked and narrowed my eyes at him. He was a pretty decent height, he was only taller than me by a foot. He had short brown hair and he was wearing a business suit.

I didn't say a word.

He went on, "You're probably wondering why you're here." He said as he continued to walk toward me. He stopped a few feet from me. A few more feet and I would have snapped his neck.

"You're here because of one person." He leaned forward, there was a spark of something cold, and dark in his eyes. "Natsu Dragneel." That one name sent shivers through me.

"What do you want with him?" I asked in a bored tone. Show indifference. I told myself silently. Act like you don't care. He smirked, "Power." I blinked, so original.

"Why do you need me then?" I asked in the same tone of voice. Did he know who I was? What I was? He started to walk back and forth, he was studying me. "I've had my people keep an eye on things. They have noticed that you two are seen together very often."

I never took my eyes off him. "Then how come you didn't just take him?" The words tasted bitter in my mouth. I didn't even want to think about someone-anyone-hurting Natsu. That's why I had to protect him, like he had me, so many times before.

The man smiled at me.

"I am not stupid. I've seen The Salamander's power. It would be a pain to try and take him. And if his Guild Mates showed up and tried to interfere..." The man sighed and rubbed the back of his neck. "That would just really hurt our plans."

I was growing bored with this.

"I'm going to ask again." I pushed off the wall unsteadily. "Why the hell. Did. You. Take. Me." I growled.

The man crossed his arms as he lazily looked at me. "So we could bring him here without any fuss." He said simply. My heart constricted in my chest. They were using me...to get to him. Hell. No. I let out a dry laugh. The man frowned at my reaction. Time to put on a show.

"Do you seriously think that Natsu Dragneel," I spat out his name in disgust. "Is going to come here...for me?" I laughed again.

"He could care less about what happens to me." The man narrowed his eyes at me. Then faster than my muddled brain could track, he brought up his hand, and struck me across the face.

My head snapped to the right and I could taste the copper tang of blood in my mouth. He had split my lip open. "Don't you dare lie to me!" He yelled. He had lost his cool demeanor. I couldn't help but smile at my small victory.

"I'm not lying!" I yelled back, turning my head around to face him. My cheek was throbbing and my lip was burning. I didn't dare show my pain. "You're with him everyday! You go on missions with him! You eat with him! You walk with him! You laugh and smile at him! Hell, we even saw him in your house!" He roared.

I smiled wickedly.

"I was playing him."

He stopped and stared at me with anger clearly written across his face.

"What?" He said through clenched teeth.

"The Salamander is famous. His name has been said all around Fiore." I said with a big smile that spilt open my lip more. Blood flowed freely from my busted lip and down my throat. "Now, how good would I get it, if I had some hardcore proof that I had," I stopped and pinned him with an almost crazed look, "Killed him." I almost gagged as the horrible words left me.

I masked my grimace with a crooked smirk. "Or how about that scarf of his? People would pay plenty for a scarf made out of real Dragon Scales or that could have been my proof." I chuckled as I flicked my wrist in the air, "I was playing him from the moment I entered that miserable excuse for a Guild!" I screeched.

The man looked at me for a second then walked toward me. He reached out his hand and before I could stop him, ripped the front half of my shirt. He leaned in until his lips were right next to my ear.

"And yet you bear their Symbol." His hot breath on my ear made me cringe. "It was so I could get closer to Salamander." I said with a shrug. He leaned back but he was still way too close to my liking. If I wanted I could very easily rip his nose off with my teeth. But, I restrained myself, I wanted to see how this would play out. If all went well, then I could very well find myself walking out of here without any further damage.

"Let me help you take down Natsu Dragneel." I told him with a murderous gleam in my eyes. "Without him, Fairy Tail will lose one of their most powerful members. I want to see that weak Guild crumble!" I said with a dark smile.

The man and I locked eyes.

My blue against his lifeless grey.

Then he said just two words that made my blood run cold.

"You're lying."