Chapter 40

For the most part, I hadn't been able to concentrate on the task at hand. My mind was whirling with the possibility of seeing Alia again, of having her talk to me like we had before. I had missed her dearly, and this revelation gave me hope I couldn't quite compare.

A few times, I caught myself thinking about my family. I would like to undo their memories, too, but would they accept me for who I was now? Part of me knew they wouldn't. Unlike Alia, they would pose a risk to the werewolf world, and I knew I couldn't risk that -- let alone Azriel. 

"Try again, Kyra," Azriel urged. "You almost had it that time. Concentrate your magic into the base of your palm."

I nodded, unable to keep my grin off my face. I was going to see Alia! She would remember me again, and things could return to the way they were -- well, not quite, but she'd be my taste of what my old life was.

I wondered how much she had changed, and most importantly I wondered what she'd think of me now.

"Kyra?" Azriel prodded. It took me a moment to realise I hadn't done what he'd asked.

"Sorry, Azriel," I rushed, sticking my palm out. The male sighed, gently pushing my arm down.

"I know you're excited, Kyra, but you must master this skill before we go anywhere near your old human friend. We also need this for the safety of the court; you have done an excellent job at keeping them away for now, but who knows when they'll be back again."

I nodded. He was right; I would be only wasting my time by daydreaming. So, I outstretched my arms and closed my eyes, directing all my magic there.

"Feel it, Kyra," Azriel whispered. "Feel what your magic is trying to tel you; it knows your power and you must listen."

I scrunched my brows, slightly frustrated when nothing came up for the umpteenth time. C'mon, Kyra, you can do this, I thought to myself.

Then something amazing happened. I felt...

Noise. 

It wasn't that I could hear it, but rather I could feel it; the waves of vibrations climbing on top of each other, amplifying the thrum. The sensation of T.V. static at my fingertips, if such a thing were even possible. 

"Ah," Azriel said simply, staring at the light which had formed in my palm. "You're an amplifier."

My heart leapt. The same as you.

I allowed my magic to dissipate as I turned to grin at him. "I did it..." I muttered, staring at my palms. "I-- I did it!"

"You sure did, and you did a brilliant job as well," Azriel said. I blushed at the compliment, but quickly masked it by saying, "Let's do it again."

So we did. Being an amplifier himself, Azriel was able to help me better than he would have otherwise. As we trained, we talked. 

Apparently, an event called 'Moonfall' was coming up, but how he explained it I assumed it was just a lunar eclipse. He explained that Moonfall marked a day of truce and that no one would attack. Even so, ambassadors from the other territories who would come to celebrate here were required to wear silver collars. 

I didn't know whether that fact reassured me or not. On one hand, they wouldn't be able to use their werewolf abilities due to the silver. On the other hand, if they had to wear silver, then was it really a day of truce?

Eventually, we called it a day and emerged from the tree line. The sun had sunk far past the horizon, the last of its golden rays flickering in the dusk sky, determined to stay bright. Crickets and frogs alike clicked around us, replacing the usual melody of songbirds that came with day. The grasses at my feet were warm, licking my soles.

We walked into the middle of the field where we both stopped, turning to face each other. Azriel looked gorgeous in the light of the sinking sun, with his onyx strands painted a strange gold, his azure eyes almost navy.

"I had a lovely time with you, Kyra," he said, voice low and soft. I blushed, thankful for the lack of light around us. 

"Same goes to you," I said, attempting a smug smile though it didn't really work with the way Azriel was staring at me. I felt like melting putty in his hand.

Wordlessly, the male raised his hand to my cheek, grazing it lightly. My heart accelerated, the sensation of his cool skin again my hot face tantalizing. 

"Yes, it was..." he said, eyes glazed. 

Then, he leaned in and kissed me.

It was a swift kiss on the side of my mouth, and I wasn't even sure it had happened until Azriel pulled back with a look of bewilderment. My heart was drumming erratically in my chest, stomach becoming a melted mess of butterflies. I gawked at him, too shocked to move and yet wanting nothing more than for him to kiss me again. My skin tingled upon where his lips had grazed mine, like the aftermath of a lightning strike.

I stared into his eyes. They look glossed-over; confused, as though wondering why he'd done such a thing. He was staring at me with equal bewilderment, though we didn't have much time to mull over it before a voice called out behind us.

"Lord Azriel."

The male whirled. I was rooted to the spot, and it took every ounce of energy to peer over his shoulder.

There, standing a few yards away, was Zion. I blushed fiercely, suddenly paranoid that he'd seen our kiss. Judging by his wide eyes and guilt-ridden face, I could only guess he had. He glanced between me and Azriel, trying to hide his shock but failing. He looked at me, and a different emotion passed through his eyes -- something close to pain, but I couldn't quite be sure with the lack of light.

"The Zeta wishes to see you," he stammered, turning quickly to walk away. Azriel did the same, sparing me not a glance as he trailed the Beta, leaving me stunned in the middle of the yard. 

******

(A/N) There it was! The long-awaited kiss! I know it may have seemed short, but don't worry -- we get MUCH more in the upcoming chapters (;