Chapter 49: A hug

Start from the beginning

"It's fine." I gave her a forced smile. "Already happened. Can't change it now."

"If there's anything I can do, please tell me. I'll run for a bottle of wine if that helps." She raised an eyebrow. I nodded. "I'll be back in a minute." She ran out of the room and left me and Em in the room.

"What is wine?" She turned to me.

"It's ... it's like juice, but it's not good." I probably wouldn't be a good mother.

"Then why are you drinking it?"

"Because ... Because it's like a vitamin."

"I hate those too. Dad always makes me take vitamins." She frowned. "They're blah." Her face was full of disgust.

What the hell are they giving her?

"But Checco always brings me candies after. In secret." She smiled and squeezed the penguin in her hands.

"Checco?" I raised an eyebrow.

"Yes. He brought me today." She smiled. "He gave me this penguin too."

She meant Francesco. I thought he didn't like children.

"What else is he doing?" I shouldn't, but I just can't help myself.

"He reads to me when I can't sleep. Or he still goes to the park with me." She jumped on the spot. "And he's watching fairy tales with me." She smiled.

"That sounds amazing." I didn't expect this. I was expecting...I don't even know what. I don't know what to expect from him.

"I can go after him and introduce you." Her little eyes lit up.

Where the hell is Lydia with that wine? Did she go buy it?

"I don't think that's a..." I stopped when I saw her smile drop. "You know what? Why not." Fuck. I will regret this.

Em jumped out of bed and reached for my hand. She started pulling me down.

We walked slowly down the stairs and heard voices from the living room.

"Just leave. This will work out without you. You should go." I heard Lydia. "Please."

"I expected you to understand."

"Look. Leo and I can handle it. Go back to Florence. For her own good."

"Checco!" Em shouted, and so all attention shifted to us. Their faces turned white.

Em let go of my hand and ran to Francesco. He bent down and she jumped into his arms.

"This is Amira." She smiled and pointed at me. "She's pretty, isn't she?" Francesco whispered something in her ear and she laughed immediately.

"Lydia. Leo. Can you leave us?" What did I say? I don't want to be alone with him. 

Lydia wanted to fight, but in the end, she left it at that. She walked over to Francesco and took Em from his arms. Then everyone left.

"So, Checco, huh?" I laughed softly.

"Only she has the right to call me that." He smiled. God, how I missed that smile.

"I'm sorry I ran away a while ago."

"I'm not blaming you. It was a shock."

Then we just stood there. In that awkward silence.

"I got shot," I said quickly.

This is not a good conversation Amira.

"I heard. Are you okay?" There was a slight concern in his voice.