11. TO LIFE AND NEW BEGINNINGS.

Start from the beginning

Just as I begin to resign myself to the humiliation of this moment, a glimmer of relief appears in the form of Ava. She senses my distress and steps in, taking over where I left off. With confidence and clarity, she offers a thoughtful response to the professor's question, effortlessly filling the void that my silence has created. "Just as Mia pointed out, one important factor is an individual's skills and education level. Generally, individuals with higher levels of education or specialized skills tend to have greater employment opportunities and can command higher wages. Additionally the availability of alternative job opportunities affects labour supply. If there are many attractive job options in the market, individuals may be more selective in their choices and demand higher wages. Conversely, if job opportunities are scarce, individuals may be willing to accept lower wages. Personal preferences may also play a role. Some individuals may prioritize factors like work life balance, job security or career advancement which can affect their labor supply decisions. For example, someone seeking a better work life balance may be willing to reduce their work hours or accept a lower paying job that offers more flexible schedules."

As Ava's words fill the room, I'm both grateful for her intervention and acute aware of my own inadequacy. I watch her as she speaks, admiring her poise and knowledge while a mix of relief and shame washes over me.

"That's a comprehensive response, Ava. You've demonstrated a strong understanding of the theory of supply for labour and its influencing factors. I appreciate your contribution to the class discussion." Mrs. Jacky tells her.

"Thank you, professor. Mia and I have been actively studying the subject and find it fascinating. We're glad we could contribute to the discussion." Ava states, making sure to include me even though I haven't done much.

"Keep up the good work, Ms. Lazano and Ava. Your dedication in learning is evident and it will undoubtedly benefit the both of you in your academic and professional journey. Now, let's continue with the rest of the lecture." Mrs. Jacky says to us and picks the lecture right up from where she stopped.

With Ava sitting right next to me, she reaches out for my hand and squeezes gently. "Thank you." I mouth to her and she nods before slowly easing her hand from mine.

Writing down the short notes till the lecture ends, I remind myself to ask Ava for the remaining notes I may have missed before coming to class. "Ms. Lazano." Mrs. Jacky calls and I glance at her. "Can I have a word with you in my office, please."

Groaning in frustration I throw my stuff back inside my mini backpack as I munch on the protein bars hoping I don't end up biting off my tongue because of how fast I'm eating. I need real breakfast, not these tiny snacks that obviously won't satisfy me. "You're late, again." Ava stands infront of my desk crossing her arms against her chest. "Mia you're missing alot. You always come to class when the lectures are about to end. Another photoshoot?" She sighs taking my silence as an answer.

"Yes, a long and exhausting one. I love what you've done with your hair." Pointing at her hair she touches it, a smile tugging on the edge of her lips. All her brown wavy hair is now swept backwards with a little volume on the top creating a smart and chic vibe.

"Thank you, I decided to try something new with my hair-" Her smile grows wider only for her big eyes to widen as she points at me. "I know what you're doing. You're trying to change the subject. This isn't about me, it's about your tardiness."

"One, your hair looks amazing and two, you know I'm always all about having my shit together but these past months I've been doing the opposite of that. I'm a huge mess but I'll figure it out."

"Okay and there's a new café in the recreation center. I can take you there so you can have real breakfast, it's clear you're starving and these tiny protein bars won't satisfy you. They have some sweet pastries, especially their apple pies. They're to die for and I'm sure you'll love them." She states after noticing my constant yawns of hunger.