Five

Sunday 9:30 p.m. 
August 27, 1995 

Tomorrow was the first day of school. It was my Sophomore year and everyone else's junior year. It sucked to be the youngest in the group. I was laying in bed reading when I heard a noise outside my window. I marked my page and slowly got out of bed. I walked over to the open window and looked out into the dark. I jumped back and a small scream left my throat making me stumble back. Stu came stumbling through the window. "Ow," he groaned as he landed on the floor. He was just to talk and lanky to be sneaking in through windows. "Shit, Stu! What the hell are you doing?" I asked. 

There was a knock on my door.''y/n, sweety," I heard my mom call. I rushed over and pulled my closet door open and jammed it against my bedroom door.  I looked back at Stu, who was standing up. "You need to hide!" I whispered. My door opened but the closet door stopped it. "Y/N?" I went over and grabbed a hold of the handle, moving the closet door soon could open the door a little more. "Hey, mom," I said. "I heard screaming," she said. "Umm. No. No screaming," I said. "I heard you scream, y/n," she gave me a pointed look. "Oh. I was watching a movie. That's probably what you heard. Sorry, I didn't know it was that loud," I told her. She pushed into my room and looked around sighing. "Okay. Well, don't stay up too much longer, you start school tomorrow," she said. "I won't," I told her. "Okay. I love you. Good night," she kissed my forehead and walked out of my room. 

I closed and locked the door before turning around. "That was close." I jumped when Stu popped up off the floor beside my bed. "What are you doing here, Stu?" I asked him. "Haven't talked to you in like a week," he said, sitting on the edge of my bed. I turned the light off and walked over to the bedside table by the window and turned the lamp on. "Shouldn't you be crawling through your girlfriend's window?" I asked. I stood in front of him with my arms folded across my chest. He sat on the edge of the bed looking at me. He shrugged and said, "we broke up." My heart fluttered but I kept my face blank of emotion. "Oh, I'm sorry," I said. He laughed and shook his head. "No you're not," he said. "You're right I'm not," I laughed. 

He reached his long arms out, placing his hands on my hips, moving me to stand between his legs. The butterflies in my stomach went nuts like they always did. "Why have you been avoiding me? We've always been close," he asked. "I haven't been ignoring you, Stu. I've been busy working," I told him. "You've totally been ignoring me since that day Casey showed up," he laughed. "Oh, my god. We're you jealous?" He asked. A smirk took over his features, spreading across his face. I moved out of his grip, walking around to the end of the bed. "No, Stu, I'm not jealous," I told him.

 I lied. I was so jealous. But I can't tell him that now can I?

 I could feel the warmth in my cheeks making them a pinkish color. 

Stu stood up, following after me, and grabbed my hand. "You are. I could see that the day you found out. I know you like it," he said. I didn't have to look at him to know he had a smirk on his face. "You should leave. School starts tomorrow," I told him. 

This was way too embarrassing. I don't need to be rejected right before school starts.

"Y/n/n, look at me." I didn't turn around, I didn't want to. "Just please go before one of my parents comes knocking. "I broke up with her for you." My eyes widened but I still didn't move. 

Did I hear that right? Did he just say-- he left her for me?

After some of the shock wore off I turned around. I looked up at him and raised my eyebrows. "What?" I whispered. "I broke up with her that night I had my party. I thought if I dated someone it would help chase the feeling I have for you," he said. "Oh." It came out in a whisper. 

So he wanted to get rid of feelings he had for me. Because he didn't want them? 

"Not like how you think. I just didn't think you liked me back. Not until Casey showed up that day and you let out that scoff. Then you started distancing yourself. I was more confident that you liked me back when you refused to come to my party. You never miss my parties," he said. "So, you don't think I'm too young for you?" I asked, still not turning around. Well, not until he turned me around. "You're only two years younger than me. I've always liked you. But I really did think you were into Randy," he laughed. I scrunched up my face. "God, no. He's my best friend, that's it. We work together and are both horror film nerds," I said. "Then you won't mind if I do this..." He pulled me closer to him, leaning down, and connected his lips to mine.

My first kiss! Oh, my god! Stay cool. Stay cool.

He pulled away and we were both smiling. "So what do you say? Will you be my girlfriend?" He asked. I nodded my head, looked at him and said, "yes." He picked me up, spinning me around. There was a knock on my door and we froze. "Y/N?" It was Sidney. Stu out me down and kissed me again. "I'll pick you tomorrow," he said as he climbed out of the window. "Y/N?" Sidney knocked again, knocking me out of the bliss I was in. I sighed and walked to my door, unlocking, and opening it. "Sid?" I asked. She pushed her way into my room and shut the door. "Who was in here?" She asked. "No-- no one," I said, clearing my throat. She gave me a look that told me she knew I was lying. "Stu," I mumbled. 

She smirked and pulled me to my bed, pulling me down with her. "So, why was Stu in your room?" She said and I felt my face heat up. "He came over because I was ignoring him," I told her. "And.." she dragged out. "And he kissed me and asked me to be his girlfriend," I said, happily. "It's about time! We were all wondering when you two would stop dancing around each other and just finally admit your feelings. I mean you guys flirt all the time," Sidney laughed. "Whatever," I laughed, pushing her a little. 

Tomorrow was going to be a great start to the new school year. What I didn't expect was what was to come in just a short couple of months.