"Nothing, daddy!" Smiling innocently she takes the chair opposite theirs. "Now what's not easy?"

"Uh, suggie?"

"Yea daddy?!" Eden laughs hearing her father's childhood pet name for her.

"Umm, you turned 23 this year, right?"

"Yep, I remember I was there!" She snickers.

"And we made a promise about that, right?"

"Uhh, yeeeesss?" 

Looking between her parents, Eden's stomach feels like its about to bottom out.

"So, you know what that means, right?"

"Nooo, I just turned 23. I have time."

"No, baby you don't." Bentley replies somberly.

"Daddy?" She asks almost pleadingly.

"Look, Edee we have waited as long as we can, but they're getting restless. You knew it would be coming. We even got you an extra five years. They're not gonna be anymore benevolent if we keep waiting. I'm sorry baby." Her mother truly apologizes with her eyes.

"Its not natural to our kind. Its not fair. I don't wanna do this. I never have! This was put in place CENTURIES before I was even born! Why does it still apply to me?!"

"Eden, I understand that you are upset, but take that base out your voice."

"Daddy this is bullshit!"

"Hold the hell on! Who do you think you're talkin to?!" Standing up fully, his eyes begin turning from their beautiful hazel to a murky brown.

Bowing her head in reverence, Eden sighs.

"No one. I apologize, alpha. But its not fair." She replies barely above a hushed whisper as a sad lonely tear rolls down the bridge of her nose.

"Look Eden I know you've never gone with the flow. I know that you've always danced to the beat of your own drum and that's why you're so special, but this is the way of our pack. Mommy and I went through it."

"But mommy is your mate. You two actually love each other. The moon goddess blessed you two with a true union. I don't know him. He's not my mate. He's a stranger. And he's seven years older than me. I don't wanna do this." She pleads hopelessly.

"Yes mommy is my true mate, but we got lucky. Thats only happened a handful of times since our pack treaty. You will learn to love him."

"I don't want to learn to love the person I'm supposed to spend the rest of my life with! I want true love, true happiness! An arranged marriage isn't that! It goes against the way of our kind! Wolves mate for life, we love with our all and have a true soul connection! This robs me of all of that. Why can't you see that?" 

"I do, Eden! But as the next Alpha Luna in line its your duty to protect your pack and upholding this five century treaty is your duty!" 

"Then I don't want it! Let Brax have it!"

"You know that's not the way it works! Your younger brother cannot take your throne. You, and only you, can have that title! You are the first Alpha Luna in over 500 years. Miraculously all the first borns have been males, you are literally one of two Alpha Lunas in our pack's history. With that you know you have special abilities that will be eradicated from the bloodline if you do not remain alpha. It is your duty. Do you understand me Eden Marley Lightfoot?"

"No! No I don't understand why I have to be matched with some 30 year old egotistical ass of an alpha wolf! I don't even know anything positive about him! Everyone says he's a sleep around and only looks out for himself! Why would you want me bound to that for life, daddy?! Why can't I just be a strong independent Alpha Luna until my mate comes along?!"