TWENTY SEVEN

november 5th, 1984

STEVE'S HAIR LEFT chills running down Aven's skin as it brushed against her thighs. She ran her fingers through it, softly untangling the knots. She stared - she couldn't help it. Not when his eyelashes curled perfectly. Not when his cheeks glistened in the moonlight, no matter the depth of the bruises littering his pale skin. Not when it was him lying in her lap. She untangled the fourth knot, only for another to form in her brows.

Dustin groaned for the seventh time since leaving the Byers' driveway. He squirmed in the middle seat, trying to lift Steve's waist away from him. Aven only noticed when his arm hit her own.

"Why is he so heavy?" The boy mumbled, annoyance seeping through his voice.

"Leave him alone." Aven pushed Dustin's hands back with a scolding glare. "You'll hurt him even more."

Dustin threw his head back into his seat with a huff. "Good. Maybe then he won't do it again."

Aven sent the boy a sideways glance but said nothing. Mike sighed.

"Stop sign!" Lucas shouted. Max slammed on the brakes, throwing everyone forward. While Mike and Dustin covered their eyes, preparing to get thrown through the windshield, Aven immediately reached for Steve's body. Her fingers curled around his arm.

"Jesus, Lucas. Some warning would've been nice." Max ran a hand down her face.

"Are you sure you've driven before?" Aven asked, leaning slightly forward. Max cleared her throat, sparing the girl in the back a glance through the rearview mirror before focusing on the road.

"Yes," she said, but even she was unsure. "In a parking lot."

"I'm sorry?" Aven exasperated. She fell back into her seat with a sigh. "God. Why did I actually trust you?"