FIFTEEN

november 3rd, 1984

DUSTIN ROLLED HIS eyes as he slammed the boot of Steve's car down. He let the spiked bat fall to his side, the rusty nails leaning against the ground, while Aven and Steve spoke distractedly by the entrance of his house. Aven's back was pressed against the brick wall by the steps, her arms crossed and fingers slowly drumming a rhythm against the thick jacket covering her arms. Steve's lips whispered words not even Dustin could hear. He sighed once more, not entirely from annoyance, but more so from terror of what he knew was to come.

"Did he tell you everything?" Steve asked, eyes darting between Avens. He nodded his head back towards the boy by the back of his vehicle, causing Aven's sight to finally meet his own.

"Yeah," she hummed, but her skin remained taut. She continued tapping her fingers against the coat. "It doesn't make any sense, though. How does nobody know? How has this never happened before? How does this . . . how?"

Steve sighed as Dustin approached the two. Before Steve could respond, Dustin did on his behalf. "There's a Government lab that covers everything up. Basically . . . do you know much about the game Dungeons and Dragons?"

Aven tilted her head with narrowed eyes. "I've heard of it in reference. Why?"

Immediately, Dustin brightened. "You know about DnD? Holy shit, that's so cool. You're so cool!"

Aven laughed, Steve raising his brows as he caught himself watching her smile widen. A light blush coated his cheeks, and suddenly, he was thankful that it was dark.

"I don't know too much . . . but thank you."

Dustin found himself entranced for a moment or two before he cleared his throat, snapping himself out of it. Aven shared a subtle look with Steve; enthused. "Anyway, I was going to talk about the Great Wheel Cosmology. Have you heard of the Ethereal plane?"