NINE

november 1st, 1984

STEVE'S HOUSE WAS intimidating. To Aven, who only had a small, slowly deteriorating house on the outskirts of the small town, the Harrington household was more than just a house. It was a mansion. Greater than a mansion. Steve had to literally drag her inside due to her amazement at its enrapturing exterior. Everything about it drew her in.

The curved driveway. The multiple storeys. The perfectly placed wooden walls. The slanted roof. The pruned roses. The painted letterbox. The red door. It was Steve's house. Steve lived there. Aven just couldn't come to terms with how someone in Hawkins had so much money. If they were so wealthy, why hadn't they moved yet?

"Do you ever do that?" Aven asked as Steve opened the front door with his keys, gesturing for her to walk inside.

Steve watched her move past him with furrowed brows. "Watch the house?" He questioned, almost incredulously.

Aven laughed. "Admire it," she corrected him as she waited for the boy to lead the way. He closed the door behind them.

"I can't say I do," he said, a smile gracing his lips.

"Are you parents home?" Aven asked as she turned away, looking at a picture on the wall. It was merely a painting, not a single person in sight.

Steve sighed. "Mum's out for the day and dad's away on a business trip," he said as he stepped past her, sparing a glance over his shoulder. "Water?"

Aven smiled, quickly following after him. "Yes, please," she smiled gratefully.

She took a seat on the barstool, quietly spinning around as Steve carefully took two glasses out of the cupboard. "So," she sang harmlessly, watching him as she spun. He hummed. "You and Nance?"