NINETEEN

november 4th, 1984

THE SKY WAS blue; a bright blue. Everything else was charred and crumbled, like the dead leaves and the withering branches of the trees. The sky held it all together, casting a beautiful background so plain everything else grew interesting. The dirt on the ground. The rusty metal sheets strewn across the junkyard the trio of friends walked into. Sometimes the sky was menacing, producing storms so great houses fell to their knees in pleading, but not today. No, because even the sky knew that the monsters that would roam the night would create more havoc than it had ever struck before.

Steve pushed his glasses up his head, letting them rest on the edge of his hair. While Aven stared at the sky, looking beyond the atmosphere at the stars she knew were hiding, Steve scanned the junkyard with a younger boy waiting for a mutter of approval. Dustin lived for it. He needed to be praised.

"Oh, yeah. Yeah, this'll do," Steve nodded with a click of his tongue, his eyes squinted to shield off the sun. Dustin beamed, watching him walk away with pride as Aven fidgeted beside him.

The girl dropped her empty bucket on the floor and started to peel off her gloves. "Hey, Dustin," she hummed. He looked at her, waiting. "Do you think there's a bin around here?"

He blinked, lips parted in mild confusion. "Aven. We're in a junkyard." She merely shrugged, only continuing to glance around in hopes of catching sight of a garbage disposal. "What are you doing?"

"Looking for a bin," she mumbled haphazardly. Dustin rolled his eyes, though an amused smile quickly grew across his lips.

"Give them to Steve," he said as he nodded his head towards the older teen walking in the distance, still throwing his remaining chunks of meat onto the messy Earth beneath him. Aven grinned, nudging the boy's shoulder with her own.