TWO

october 30th, 1984

AVEN LEANT HER head back on the woven headboard in Max's room. Her fingers drummed rhythmically against the bed sheets as the redhead groaned aloud, pushing clothes in her cupboard aside.

"What about this one?" Max asked as she pulled out a red jacket with white drawstrings.

Aven nodded as she sat up straighter. "Yeah, wear it with jeans. Blue ones."

"Gotcha," Max mumbled as she pulled out a drawer, pulling out a dark blue pair of jeans.

"I'll go wait in the car," Aven said as she reluctantly pushed herself off her step-sister's bed. "But don't be too long. School starts soon."

"Okay, mum," Max said with a joking roll of her eyes. Aven sent her a look as she left the room, closing the door behind her to create a comfortable space for Max to change in. As soon as it clicked shut, Aven let out a sigh. She was incredibly nervous to start her first day at Hawkins High.

She walked over to Billy's room, hesitating with her hand in the air before she finally knocked on his door. She heard shuffling from the inside of his room.

"What?" He yelled through the closed door.

"We need to go," Aven said as she tapped her foot impatiently on the floor. "Are you ready?"

The door flung open in front of her, a harsh wave of cologne smacking her in the face. She subconsciously leant back, nose twitching uncomfortably. "I should be the one asking you that," he muttered before shoving past her, walking down the hall and snatching the keys off the side table by the front door. "You coming or what?"

Aven rolled her eyes but followed after him nevertheless, banging on Max's door as she walked past. Almost immediately, Max opened the door and left, quickly stepping into Aven's steady pace. They exited the house together.