TWENTY

november 4th, 1984

THE BLUE SKY was gone. In its replacement stood an eerie layer of darkness casting shadows beyond the treeline surrounding the trapped junkyard. Fog layered the ground past the shielded windows of the old bus, blanketing the ground and hiding the piles of meat dotted between the other rotting vehicles. The stench wafted through the air, meaning Lucas, who'd been placed on lookout on top of the bus, had to block his nose with annoyance so he wouldn't throw up the sandwich he had for lunch.

Aven's shoes smudged against the seat. The rest of the group were huddled at the back of the van, the sisters sitting on the cushioned chairs while Steve took to resting on the floor and Dustin paced worriedly.

Aven's back was pressed against the cold metal of the wall behind her. She stared across the group at Steve, who found the flicking of his lighter to be particularly interesting. Max also watched him, but only mindlessly, as her brain tried to summon the idea of everything being true. Lucas had said it. Dustin had said it. Heck, even Aven had said it. However, it was unbelievable. Monsters? Another universe? The redhead wanted to laugh.

Aven tightened the bomber jacket over her torso, wrapping her arms around her middle. "So, you really fought one of these things before?" Max asked, her arms crossed as her shoes tapped boredly against the ground. Steve looked over, the fire from his lighter flickering, before he nodded and shut the clasp again. "And you're, like, totally, 100% sure it wasn't a bear?"

Aven frowned softly, looking from her step-sister to the boy on the floor beside the girl. Steve met her sight, furrowing his brows. Aven merely shrugged.

Dustin scoffed, clearly irritated. "Shit. Don't be an idiot, okay? It wasn't a bear." Everyone turned to face the boy, sharing an array of contrasting expressions. Max was astounded, Steve raising a brow with pride, while Aven wordlessly scolded the boy with parted lips in a glare.