SEVEN

october 31st, 1984

"MAX?" AVEN CALLED out as she stepped inside her house. She shut the door quietly behind her, aware of the possible sleeping residents dotted around the small building. She crept further inside, peaking into the lounge room. No one was there.

There was light seeping through the crack beneath Max's bedroom door. Aven watched it fall beneath the cracks in the wooden floorboards, disappearing into the Earth below. Her movements cast a shadow over the lit up path, blocking the artificial light from crawling any further. She looked through the crack left in between the door and its frame. She couldn't see anything.

The silence was deafening. The only sounds the girl could hear were her own footsteps and the snoring of her father booming from down the hall. She winced to herself as she pushed open her step-sister's door, the creak echoing down the dark corridor.

Max was lying on her bed, stomach facing the roof, as soft breaths passed through her parted lips. Aven couldn't help but smile at the sight of the full pillowcase resting beside the redhead, an assortment of wrappers strewn messily across her stomach and the surrounding floor. The lamp on her bedside table was on, clearly having been left on. Aven eyed it. Max never slept with the light on.

She sighed with content as she began to move around the room silently. She picked up the pillowcase and rested it against the floor, filling her hands with the empty wrappers littered across the bedroom. She cleaned up the mess before their parents could notice, dumping it all in the bin resting in the back corner of the younger girl's cupboard. Being careful not to wake her, she grabbed the red throw blanket off the end of Max's bed before gently laying it on top of her. She tired from her slumber, letting out a tired sigh as she flipped around on the bed, curling into the blanket. Aven smiled.